• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best technique for making a frittata

Fat Guy

That's a question. It seems everybody has a slightly different method. I don't think my method is the best, and I'm going to make a frittata for guests pretty soon. So, what to do?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I use a heavy cast iron pan, saute my filling (usually potatoes, red pepper, ham and onion), then I add a little more olive oil and pour over my beaten eggs. My pan is pretty large, so I use about 8 eggs. I turn the heat to low and give it a couple of minutes for the egg to cook at the bottom. Then I sprinkle over a good handful of cheddar cheese, and put the whole pan right under a screaming hot grill. If the grill is really hot, the eggs will puff up and the cheese will brown and good scents will fill the air!

I take it out and leave it for a couple of minutes so it will firm up. If you're lucky, you can flip then pan and the whole thing will come out with out breaking.

I always serve it with a green salad and buttered bread.

We don't call it a frittata in our house -- we call it a 'chip omelette' -- but it's the same thing. A nice, quick, no-meat meal. Heavy on the potatoes, and with other ingredients if they're kicking around and appeal to us. I like some nice caramelized onions, personally, and we'd throw in some bacon if it were available.

Method's dead easy in our version: fry the potatoes and drain, then dump into the omelette/fritatta pan. Sprinkle over any other ingredients being used, and then pour over the whole thing the beaten eggs. Cook on medium/medium-low until firm at least on the bottom. Cut & serve, as Harrysnapperorgans says, with salad and fresh bread.

These days after seeing what I considered a completely eye-opening video on stainless steel pans on Rouxbe, I'd do it in my largest S.S. pan rather than a [supposed] 'non-stick' or cast iron -- it just feels so much cleaner and if you get it right, it just slips right out!

I like to pre-heat my oven to no more than 300℉. Then I pre-heat the pan in which I'm making the frittata over medium heat while preparing the ingredients. I beat the eggs with salt & pepper, add any other ingredients (precooked if necessary, like with vegetables, but I'm partial to herbs and freshly grated parmesan). I use both olive oil and butter in the pre-heated pan and pour in the egg mixture. Let it set for 3 - 4 minutes on top of the stove and then into the oven until it's done.

Here's a breakfast frittata I've made with leftover pasta.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

We had one for supper last night. I used olive oil and butter in the pan. Saute the onions, etc in the pan. Add potatoes, eggs and cheese. Top of stove for a couple of minutes and then into the oven.

Here's my difference, I deep fat fry the cubed potatoes brefore adding them. I like a little more crunch from the potatoes than I get if I saute them in the pan. I can also use a bigger dice. Just the way I grew up eating them.

Dwight

If at first you succeed, try not to act surprised.

The main problem I've had with frittate in America is that they're served way too hot. They are really at their best at room temperature or slightly above. The other most common mistake is making them way, way too thick. Have a look at Marcella Hazan's recipes, for example. The frittata with cheese consists of six eggs and a cup of grated parmigiano-reggiano cooked in a ten-inch pan. This is not going to result in a 2 inch thick frittata.

Finishing them under the broiler is, IMO, one of Marcella Hazan's very rare mistakes. This inevitably results in a leathery (not to mention frequently burnt) brown layer on the top where one is not desired. Broiling the frittata also has a tendency to make it puff up, which is not desired. A frittata is supposed to be firm and set, not fluffy or airy. To achieve this, you want to cook the frittata as slowly as possible. Starting with very low heat on the stove and then into a low oven is the best way, IMO, followed by a substantial rest to set up and come down almost all the way to room temperature.

--

I do mine with 4 eggs in a small (8 inch?) cast iron skillet. Preheat oven to 350.

Cook 1/2 cup veg (I usually do onions and mushrooms). Beat the eggs and stir in 1/2 C cheese (whatever I have), along with a good bit of fresh thyme, salt and pepper. Melt a T of mixed butter and oil. Add veg, then eggs/chese. Cook on medium low flame for 5-10 minutes, until the bottom is fairly firm. Into the oven for another <=10 minutes, just until the top is no longer runny. Let it sit while I saute some potatoes (I prefer them on the side).

Serve with Crystal sauce on the side. :-) This produces a frittata of the thinner type. I don't like the big, poofy kind. If you don't let it cool enough, it will disintegrate when you try to cut it. This is perfect for 2 people. Sometimes we have a little left over for one of us to take for lunch the next day.

edited to add the butter/oil part...

Edited by onrushpam (log)