• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good/ decent inexpensive port?

mskerr

Are there any good ports for, say, under $20? I've been drinking some cheapos from Trader Joes. I don't have a refined palette at all, and am usually pretty happy drinking cheap booze, but a little step up in quality would be nice.

Cheers!

There are a number of good Dow's for $20 and under. I found a Lagrima Blanco for $16 last week -- very different from ruby or tawny.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

My favorite cheapie is Niepoort Vintage Character Port. It's $15 wherever you can find it and has a dark, brambly taste in the style of vintage port. Great for dinner andy after dinner, the wine is a good balance of sweetness and bold berry flavor. This is part of a house of wine that has been coming out with amazing products for the past few years and is well worth the price.

Cheers!