• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Best From" Dates?

DanM

I decided to try a new local roaster today and picked up a bag of Carlos Ernesto Guerrero Lara Apaneca El Salvadoran coffee... whatever that means. What caught my eye about the bag is that they note the roast date (4/22), best from (4/25) and to (5/9) dates. I am confused about the from date. Why would I wait 3 days after roasting before drinking?

Thanks!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Latin Americans consider that coffee requires a rest period between roasting and drinkng to allow flavour to mature. Hence on commercial Latin American coffees, it[s common to see the rest period defined, since it's different for different beans and roasts.

ETA - Ernesto yada yada Lara is the full name of the cafetero; Apaneca is the bean cultivar.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Thanks for the input!! All of their coffees, including African varieties have best from dates. This coffee shop knows the art of a good cup of coffee, so this would make sense.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Carbon Dioxide. If you brew freshly roasted (like literally out of the cooling bin) coffee, the bloom can overflow your device, and the trapped CO2 forms carbonic acid, which alters the flavor profile of the coffee. Leave it alone for a couple of days and it offgasses (through the one way valve in the front of the bag!), and you're fine.

Thanks,

Zachary