• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need Advice on Small Commercial Oven

whitez

Hi all,

I need advice to which small commercial oven I should get. Oven will be used at home semi-professionally hence the small size and used mainly for baking pastries (macarons) and cakes.

I'm currently eyeing on the Moffat Turbofan Convection Oven E22M3 ($1500) or Buffalo Convection Oven ($650) however not sure if they are suitable for pastries or cakes. Also need to have function to heat from the bottom only so as not to brown the top part.

But again these are all the ovens I know at the moment so please let me know if there are other ovens more suitable for my use.

Thanks!

I don't know that you can get convection (fan blowing hot air) with heating only from the bottom; the fan is moving the hot air around/over the product in the oven. I have a Blodgett convection (commercial) and I'm not crazy about the way I need to rotate the pans so the ones in the left corner where a hot spot is don't color.

There was a convection oven from a manufacturer in Canada - I think it was Doyon - in which the fan reverses every 2 or 3 minutes so that might be a better fit for you.

You may wish to look at Electolux's Mini Combi Oven line

This has a steam feature which may be very helpful for your use.

Edited by JBailey (log)

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks