• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails vs Tastebuds

hollywood

Hi Hollywood,

Dulling the taste buds is a challenge to be overcome when doing a cocktail dinner and I have worked on that challenge in the following ways. Also don’t forget wine is alcohol as well and will have the same effect after time and with overuse.

First, I use very small three ounce cocktail glasses. Of course I don’t fill a cocktail glass when serving a cocktail so that means that the amount of actual spirit without the other ingredients is often less than an ounce per drink. The recipes I posted for the other question about matching food and cocktails could serve two and a half people at a cocktail dinner.

Second, I work with the chef to choose dishes with big bold flavors that will stand up to the spirits.

Finally, I encourage people to experience the flavor match but not necessarily finish all six of the cocktails.

This cocktail dinner thing I do is not meant to usurp wine as a table beverage, it is just taking my craft a bit farther and having some fun doing it!

Dale