• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drugs given to chickens

gfweb

key line:

"These findings will surprise some poultry farmers because even they often don’t know what chemicals they feed their birds. Huge food companies require farmers to use a proprietary food mix, and the farmer typically doesn’t know exactly what is in it. I asked the United States Poultry and Egg Association for comment, but it said that it had not seen the studies and had nothing more to say."

I'm not sure why that's a key line. If you have read anything about the poultry industry in the US, you would know that the farmers have no choice in how they raise the chickens. The poultry companies dictate everything to the farmers, and the farmers follow instructions to the letter, or they risk being dropped and going into financial ruin.

Not one word of the article is surprising.

sorry. I meant the last part:

I asked the United States Poultry and Egg Association for comment, but it said that it had not seen the studies and had nothing more to say

I left in the first part as a ref.

of course, this isnt really startling. Too bad they wouldn't consider some herbs, sage, etc too.