• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

EatNopales

"Mexican Mornings" by Ruth Harkness

Darienne   

I've had the time (sneaked from duties) to read two of the entries in Harkness' "Mexican Mornings" journal. Wonderful. The writing style is so lively and the content so interesting. I'm going to read them all as soon as I can. Thank you so much for finding this, EN.

Also Googled Harkness to read more about her. Fascinating woman.

I've had the time (sneaked from duties) to read two of the entries in Harkness' "Mexican Mornings" journal. Wonderful. The writing style is so lively and the content so interesting. I'm going to read them all as soon as I can. Thank you so much for finding this, EN.

Also Googled Harkness to read more about her. Fascinating woman.

The writing style is fantastic and makes the current Gourmet articles seem about as stupid as Food Network celebrities. She was a WRITER who happened to cover travel & food.

With that said, I do think the vast majority of what she wrote was likely very embellished & distorted if not outright fabrication because it too conveniently plays in to the narratives, stereotypes & characters of the time... not just of Mexico but it parlays the world view of that time as captured in Hollywood movies.. the faraway strange land with a cast of unlikely world characters... impoverished Old World nobility, broken spirited American adventurers, feckless Spanish / Southern European descendants, noble savages all coming together in a magical realism setting where the clear sighted North American is the hero of all, and the only person with ultimate wisdom etc.,

With that said the descriptions of the dishes, recipes, typical market purchases is absolutely invaluable - she is too innocent & clueless about these to fabricate - and gives us a real insight into Mexican culinary traditions of the time.. which evidently have not changed all that much.

kalypso   

EN, have you read Frances Toors? Some of her early writing was quite interesting, not only wiht regard to food but to some of the arts as well.

As to Gourmet...I received my first Gourmet in 1968 and was absolutely captivated by the writing. Neither the articles nor the recipes were dumbed down, nor did they pander to the lowest common denominator. I learned I could cook, and I learned that there was a world outside of San Diego that was clearly far more interesting and urbane :laugh:

EN, have you read Frances Toors? Some of her early writing was quite interesting, not only wiht regard to food but to some of the arts as well.

As to Gourmet...I received my first Gourmet in 1968 and was absolutely captivated by the writing. Neither the articles nor the recipes were dumbed down, nor did they pander to the lowest common denominator. I learned I could cook, and I learned that there was a world outside of San Diego that was clearly far more interesting and urbane :laugh:

Thanks... no I haven't read her.

• Similar Content

• By gulfporter
      Chiles en Nogada are traditionally served only for Mexican Independence Day (16 de Septiembre).  Every household and restaurant have their own version.  In years past we have eaten as many as 12 different versions in the course of the week long celebration.   Certain things about it never change: always poblanos, walnuts, pomegranate seeds and dried fruit (though the types of dried and fresh fruit vary as does the ratio of fruit to meat).  And the cream sauce is always room temperature, never heated.  

Not only is it a tasty dish, it is about the prettiest meal ever put on a plate.  

I have made them at home (but not for several years).   Rick Bayless's recipe is the one I used.  
      http://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/pork-and-fruit-stuffed-chiles-in-white-walnut-sauce/

The history of the dish is one of creating a festive dish on the spur of the moment with limited ingredients. 
      https://www.tripsavvy.com/chiles-en-nogada-1588803

• By Kasia
      Omelette with courgette and tomato salsa.

Today I added a bit of chili pepper to tomato-basil salsa. Because it was quite spicy I decided to add it to a mild dish. I prepared an omelette with courgette and goat cheese. The salsa added an excellent piquancy to it. I recommend this dish for a fast and light meal.

Ingredients:

omelette
      3 eggs
      150g of courgette
      3-4 slices of goat cheese
      2 tablespoons of milk
      1 tablespoon of flour
      1 tablespoon of butter
      salt and pepper

salsa
      2 tomatoes
      3 tablespoons of minced basil
      quarter of an onion
      2 cloves of garlic
      half a chili pepper
      3 tablespoons of olive oil
      2 tablespoons of lemon juice
      1 teaspoon of honey

Start by preparing the salsa. Cube the tomato and dice the garlic, onion and chili pepper. Mix the vegetables together. Make a sauce with the olive oil, lemon juice and honey. Add it to the vegetables and mix it in. Leave in the fridge.
      Slice the courgette very thin. Whisk the eggs with the milk and add the flour. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Melt the butter in a pan. Pour half the egg mass into it and fry for a while at medium heat. Arrange half of the courgette slices on top along with the slices of goat cheese and the rest of the courgette. Pour the rest of the egg mass onto it and fry it. When the eggs have congealed, turn the omelette upside down and fry for a few seconds. Serve at once with the tomato salsa.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Holiday brunch.

During the holiday, eating is a waste of time for my children. Although breakfast should be a balanced and calm meal, at this time it is eaten quickly and carelessly. Sometimes I need to wrest my children away from their play and nourish their young bodies with brunch.

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a very simple egg and vegetable brunch. Though my children like all vegetables, the look of the food made them anxious. Only the soft boiled eggs settled them down and got them eating. After a while there were two empty glasses in the dishwasher and my children could go back to playing. It was good, because the holiday is almost over.

Ingredients (for 3 people)
      half an onion
      2 cloves of garlic
      1 tablespoon of butter
      300g of courgette
      1 red pepper
      2 tomatoes
      2 sprigs of rosemary
      2 sprigs of thyme
      3 tablespoons of minced chives
      3 eggs

Dice the onion and garlic and fry them in butter. Remove the core from the tomatoes. Cube the courgette, tomatoes and red pepper. Put one of the cubed tomatoes to one side. Add the second tomato and the rest of the vegetables to the onion and stew on a low heat for 10 minutes. Boil some water and carefully put the eggs into the water. Boil for 5 minutes. Cool them down and carefully remove the shell. Mix the stewed vegetables in with the rest of the tomato. Spice it up with salt and pepper. Put the vegetables into a cup. Arrange the eggs on top and cut them up with a sharp knife. Spice up the egg with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the chives.
      Serve at once.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      My quesadilla

Today I would like to share with you the recipe for a dish which meets holiday requirements. It is easy, and it doesn't need sophisticated ingredients or an oven. A frying pan is enough. Quesadilla, the dish in question, is a tortilla with melted cheese. The rest of the ingredients you choose at your discretion. Red beans, pepper, chorizo or fried meat all work brilliantly. I added fried pieces of turkey leg. Thanks to this, my dish could be a holiday dinner.

Ingredients (for 2 people)
      4 tortillas
      300g of turkey leg
      half a chili pepper
      half an onion
      1 clove of garlic
      2 tablespoons of oil
      200g of tinned sweetcorn
      200g of tinned red beans
      fresh pepper
      200g of mozzarella cheese
      salt and pepper

Cube the meat. Fry the diced onion, garlic and chili pepper in oil. Add the spiced-up-with-salt-and-pepper meat and fry on a low heat until the meat is soft. Cube the pepper. Drain the sweetcorn and red beans and slice the mozzarella cheese. Put the tortilla into a dry, heated pan. Arrange the meat, sweetcorn and red beans on it. Cover with the slices of the mozzarella cheese and the second tortilla. Fry on a low heat for a while. Turn it and fry a bit more until the cheese has melted. Put it on a plate and cut it into triangles.

Enjoy your meal!

• By Kasia
      Raspberry porridge

Today, I used the best part of my raspberry shopping for my summer second breakfast. I recommend it for those who only drink coffee in the morning. The rolled oats and chia seeds ensure that it satisfies our hunger very well, and the empty bowl means that you are sorry the dish was so small.

The inspiration for this dish comes from "Smaki życia" ("Flavour of Life") by Agnieszka Maciąg.

Ingredients:
      100g of raspberries
      3 teaspoons of honey
      3 tablespoons of rolled oats
      2 teaspoons of chia seeds
      decoration
      3 teaspoons of natural yoghurt
      raspberries, blueberries, banana slices, cashews, sesame seeds

Mix together the rolled oats with the chia seeds, pour in some hot water and leave for 20 minutes. Wash the raspberries and drain them. Leave a few nice bits of fruit for decoration. Blend the rest of the raspberries with the rolled oats, chia seeds and honey. Put it into a small bowl. Put the natural yoghurt on top. Decorate with the banana slices, blueberries, raspberries, sesame seeds and cashews.