• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maesri Thai Curry sauces from the can: Do you use them? How?

rotuts

From time to time I use the Maesri (now canned) curry + sauces. I used to use them when they came in small packets 10 tied together or so. Now they come in cans. Small ones.

Im a big fan of SV 'curries' ie Patak or other jared spices to make chicken/pork 'curries'

I make a bunch and cool/freeze. then reheat. I might add fresh tomatoes or what ever at the vary end.

Im thinking of using M's i just bought at the local Chinese MegaLoMart in something. I have several large turkeys in the freezer that are looking for a SV home.

does anyone use beef for this type of thing? Ive never made a beef 'curry-ish' dish. Chicken, Pork, Turks.

you thoughts and experience would be greatly appreciated! ( notice the hand-made birds-eye maple cutting board?) :raz:

in the past when Ive used these they seem to benefit from coconut milk

see the pic:

Maesri.jpg

Mae Ploy pastes in the tubs are much better than the Maesri cans - I think if you ask most Thais, that's their opinion too.

Thai curries are always made with coconut milk (with the exception of so-called jungle curries), and beef is doable but you have to cook it either for a few minutes or a long while so it doesn't come out tough.

I don't know if this is available where you are, but where my parents live a couple of Thai restaurants and grocery stores make and sell their own pastes in plastic jars. Since they are fresher than the canned kind and even the commerical plastic jar kind, and also definitely made by Thai cooks and carefully and authentically formulated, they are a better option than most of the stuff on the shelf. My Dad buys them quite frequently as he likes Thai food but since he is the only non-vegetarian in the house he cannot be bothered to make stuff from scratch when only he is going to eat it (not a philosophy I follow but whatever works for him!).