• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tia Maria Made at Home?

rotuts

years ago I made Tia Maria at home. It was fairly good if left alone for a while.

the recent post about low acid coffee for a coffee 'drink' reminded me of this. I Roast my Own coffee so would llike to go back to this.

the recipe might have been before Al Gore invented the internet. I recall i might have come from one of those books: "Restaurant Secrets you can make at home" Ive always found those intersting.

but it was from a book like that. Any Updates from Al's internet?

Id love the stuff and a billion years ago got it from Jamaica. that was much better than the USofA stuff.

many thanks!

Benedictine I think might be tooo difficult.

Here's a recipe from pre internet days

1 1/2 cups water

2 cups sugar

2 tbsp coffee (then it says 6 tbsp 'real' coffee)

heat this together

add to 2 tsp vanilla

26 oz alcohol

The 1979 book Homemade liqueurs

2 cups water

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup instant coffee (new jar)

1/2 chopped vanilla bean

1 1/2 cups vodka

caramel colouring

Couldn't find one in any of the Top Secret Recipe books that I ran across.

Oh wait - here you go

Copycats Recipe for:-Tia Maria

4 cups of sugar

16 teaspoons of favorite coffee

4 cups of hot water

4 teaspoons of vanilla essence

750mls Bacardi

Dissolve coffee sugar in hot water

Add vanilla, when cool add Barcadi. Allow standing for 2 weeks.

Shake bottle daily

Makes about 2 litres.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

i made a "coffee" liqueur recently that was constructed solely from dark roasted rye (a coffee roast for beer brewing). the preliminary results were really good.

grains are significantly cheaper than coffee which made me wonder if any of the liqueur companies, as snakey as they are, have gone this route. though the internet did not turn up any conclusive celiac allergies to coffee liqueurs.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

thats very interesting.

Having been a Home Coffee Roaster for Some Time (HCRST)

there is very cheeeeeep coffee call Robusta.

most 'espresso' commercial blends use this for somewhere between 25 to 30 % of their blend.

It produces 'more crema' ( not really if you understand 'crema') that crema from the Robusta is Red.

I hope soon to make Tia Maria from well Guatemala.