• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

When you make a mistake at work...

JeanneCake

"why don't I make it the way my family makes it and you can see how it is". That was my first clue that this was not going to end well.....

I would have fired the person on the spot for that.

How about you do it the way I told you to do it, because you're supposedly a professional and I'm signing your check? No? Hit the bricks.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

"why don't I make it the way my family makes it and you can see how it is". That was my first clue that this was not going to end well.....

I would have fired the person on the spot for that.

Yeah me too. Early stupidity/attitude never gets better. Anyone who is bad the first day doesn't get a second day.

I remember looking up from the recipe book and just staring ... the others in the kitchen (who have been with me for years) had never seen The Look before and this person immediately stopped talking and looked horrified. I waited a few seconds (which I'm sure seemed like an eternity) and then continued with my explanation of why and how the recipes are different and when we use each.

What I wanted to do was say exactly what ScoopKW was thinking: you will do it this way because I am the chef and owner and this is how I am telling you to do it. This was only about 6 weeks ago. I know that there's no joy in dishwashing and cleaning, breaking down boxes and taking out the trash when you think you should be doing what everyone else in the kitchen is doing but there it is.