• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Tails - Eek!

pistolabella

I just bought, as a complete impulse, two lobster tails from the seafood counter. I have never prepared lobster before. These still seem slightly frozen..And I have no idea what to do with them. I google'd a few recipes that say I have to butterfly them. Is that so? Any suggestions on preparation tonight? These are being made in conjunction with a cowboy ribeye :o

I have coached a friend who is clueless about lobster prepare broiled lobster tails several times for her surf & turf loving son using this site. First prep a basting sauce (can then be used as a dip) of melted butter (no need to clarify), salt, pepper, touch of lemon juice ( or just squeeze on when eating if desired) and garlic (fresh or powdered). Lay tail so that the hard curved side is facing up and using kitchen scissors cut along each side and then across at the tail to expose the flesh. Baste with the sauce and broil approx 1 minute per ounce. Good luck.