• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Egg rings

KitchenQueen

I'm tired of my eggs prancing all over the skillet and want to buy some egg diffenent egg rings. I've found some heavy ones (so they say) as well as silicone ones. I like my egg with a fairly runny yolk, but want the white completely cooked. Runny yolk=good.Runny whites=bad.

The rings I have leave the white near the edges of the yolk uncooked. And they leak like crazy, therefore they're useless.

I'm looking for a happy medium, other than putting the egg under a broiler for a few seconds to cook the center of the whites.

When I do that I always end up overcooking the yolk.

What's the answer here? Lower temp,higher temp, better rings, some of the above? :blink: And what egg ring brand?

At my age you'd think I could cook a proper egg. :hmmm:

The flatness of the cooking surface is also part of the equation. If the pan is beat up, there will be plenty of nooks for the white to escape.

I use really cheap metal rings. My procedure is to get the griddle/pan up to temp, lube the surface, place the pre-lubed ring on the pan and let that heat up a little, too, then crack an egg into it.

If everything is hot enough, the white will self "seal" around the edge -- little (or minimal) leaking.

I usually cover the egg while it's cooking with a lid. That will cook the top. If I need to cook the yoke a little harder than I like, I'll splash a little water on the surface before I lid up -- the steam has more heat energy to transfer to the egg than just hot air.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I'm tired of my eggs prancing all over the skillet and want to buy some egg diffenent egg rings. I've found some heavy ones (so they say) as well as silicone ones. I like my egg with a fairly runny yolk, but want the white completely cooked. Runny yolk=good.Runny whites=bad.

The rings I have leave the white near the edges of the yolk uncooked. And they leak like crazy, therefore they're useless.

I'm not sure that I understand why your undercooked egg whites are due to the egg rings. I don't usually use egg rings, unless, if for presentation, I want a uniform, round egg. But I've never found that they have any effect on the egg whites.

I also like runny yolks and completely cooked whites, but I do what several other posters suggested -- cover the egg for a minute or so to set the white. You can also baste the egg with warm butter to set the tops.