• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Experiments in tarts....

pistolabella

While I fancy myself quite crafty in the kitchen with cooking...I am no baker. I fully admit to being romanced by the "no rule" approach I can take with throwing savory dishes together, and also admit to lacking the patience and dilligence required in baking. However, I have a tart pan I received as a gift that I've yet to remove from the box, and I'm dying to experiment with some great desserts before the holiday season. If anyone can recommend some good, easy & moderate recipes, tips, techiniques, I'd be so appreciative! I'm interested in any type of filling or crust - I seriously have a lot of playing around to do in order to get comfortable with this.

A few years ago I saw a tomato galette recipe in The Chicago Tribune Sunday magazine, tried it (fairly easy and quite good) and posted the recipe in the CompuServe Cooks Online forum, along with a picture. The recipe goes back to Baking with Julia by Dorrie Greenspan. I've made it a few times since. It doesn't really need a tart pan, but that wouldn't hurt, although it might turn our a bit less "rustic".

Dick in Northbrook, IL

If you want to keep up some feeling of the "no rule" approach, consider perfecting your pie crust first, then trying it with a variety of fillings to suit your taste. But you're totally right, you do need to keep to recipes, baking times, etc. for the best results.

In my opinion, there's no better flaky crust than RLB's cream cheese crust: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_flaky_tender_pi.html

You can fill it with fruit of your choice, sweetened to taste with sugar and a little lemon. You can experiment with blind baking, or bake it filled for a quicker, easier tart. Fruit curds (like lemon) also make great tart fillings, and you can fold some whipped cream into them (or spoon it on top) for a simple but elegant tart. That crust also works well with savory fillings like roast vegetables or quiche.

Pie crusts with a little sugar in them (pate sucre) are traditionally paired with cream fillings, or a layer of cream and then fruit, so they can be a little more complicated.

You can also use a tart pan for baking simple cakes topped with fruit.

I like RLB's Pie and Pastry Bible, but it is a thick tome and very detailed, so may not be the best fit with your cooking style :)

I suggest trying out cookie-like or shortbread-like crusts. They are very forgiving and you don't have to roll them out--you just press the dough into the pan. You have some room for improvisation with these crusts, too, like adding chopped nuts or other flavorings to them.

This Chocolate Walnut Tart from Georgeanne Brennan is the easiest tart I know of:

http://articles.sfgate.com/2001-09-05/food/17617581_1_dinner-table-olives-southern-california/10

Do you have the French tart pan, metal with all those little ridges? Like this:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-17186/Matfer-Tinned-Steel-Tart-Pans

They're my favorite tart pan, but they can be a b---h to clean if you have to scrape out pastry bits from the ridges. If you butter the pan before putting in your dough, it will be easier to clean (a Julia Child trick).

I think RLB's Pie and Pastry Bible is a great resource for most beginners, but it is mostly sweet tarts.

One of the big faults I see in tarts made by friends comes from a lack of patience. Crusts that are not flaky (when you expect one) and low sides are typically due to a lack of patience.

1. When mixing the crust, especially for flaky crusts, do it by hand. I have never had success making a very flaky crust in a mixer.

2. When you are done mixing, stick the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, but I usually wait an hour,

3. When you roll out the dough, do not trim the edges and bake, or fill and bake. The gluten will want to contract. Stick the crust in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, again, I go an hour, to let the crust settle. Then trim the edges and continue.

To keep things simple, mix the dough the night before and let it chill in the fridge overnight. In the morning, roll it out, place it in the pan, and stick it back in the fridge until you get home from work. Par bake if necessary while you get the filling prepared.

One more tip... After you remove the pie weights during a park baking, brush the the crust with a beaten egg. It will glaze the crust and slightly water proof it. This will help prevent the crust from getting soggy.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I suggest trying out cookie-like or shortbread-like crusts. They are very forgiving and you don't have to roll them out--you just press the dough into the pan. You have some room for improvisation with these crusts, too, like adding chopped nuts or other flavorings to them.

This is my suggestion as well for a beginner with a fluted tart pan with removable bottom. You want something firm, made with an egg--a traditional tart dough--that will provide a sturdy, sweet casing for your filling. You can make a chocolate version as well. Lemon curd is a simple filling to start with, and takes on many different garnishes amiably.