• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone Making Halva?

minas6907

Hi everyone! Recently, for some reason, the idea of making halva popped into my head, and after doing some research, I've seen that the agitation is a very important part, inducing crystallization of the candy. I've seen various site give recipes that are pretty much 'boil, mix, pour,' and they dont seem too promising, though I havent tried them, but just by perhaps a picture of the result, I can see that the halva is too soft. I'm looking for more of the crumbly texture halva that I've had since a kid, no particular brand, though around here we have Sadaf. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone had a recipe that they swore by taht they could share. Probably the most promising recipes so far have been from this post:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101209192453AAY9LZA

I'm not thrilled that the recipes came from someone posting on yahoo answers, but the pulling, mixing, and kneading processes seemed to be what I'm looking for, as seen in these videos:

and

Anyways, I also was reading this thread from '09, but havent made any of the recipes mentioned.

All in all, anyone have a recipe that is promising? The tahini paste is not such a cheap product to be wasting, haha. Thanks!

Thanks for asking. I can't help with the recipe, but just ate the last of the really good stuff I brought home from Brooklyn and would like to make some of my own.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Thanks for those. I did previously read them. So far, I've made two recipes, and I know they are not going to set up enough, no matter how long I leave them in the fridge, they are too soft. My next attempt will likely be the recipe here: http://tasty-recipes.blogspot.com/2005/12/sesame-halva.html This recipe is basically the same as one I've already tried, and as was my suspision of the the candy setting up firmer if the sugar was cooked longer, this recipe calls for cooking the sugar 20 degrees f higher then all the rest, so that seems like it should do it. But after that, depending on how that turns out, I think I'll try the recipe Kerry did here: http://egullet.org/p1750184

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, thanks for the response. I think I may know which one your talking about, but after two very unsuccessful attempts, and with the cost of tahini, I just havent gotton around to it. I will one of these days. But one thing I was wondering, does it not also crystalize at room temp? All the recipes say to store it in the fridge, but all the halva I have ever had was just stared at room temp. Did you ever store the candy in a cabinet or something and see how that affects the texture? Does it start to sweat?