• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone have a good taffy recipe?

minas6907

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had a good saltwater taffy recipe. I've made taffy with the recipe from Chocolates and Confections, and it came out pretty decent without adding the frappe. The problem has been that it sticks to the wrappers within a week, so thats slightly annoying. Anyways (as seen in this post http://egullet.org/p1799528) I have been hesitant about getting some marshmallow fluff and adding it to the taffy, but i was at the store and picked up a jar anyways to see how it would improve the taffy. I just made two batches, and after adding the fluff and folding it in, it became so sticky it was unworkable! I've been able to pull the taffy pretty decently with out the fluff, but honestly, after adding it, folding it in completely, and having the taffy be cooled, it stuck to my gloves like no tomorrow! Yet, I still went ahead and pulled, but nothing changed. it was a huge sticky mess, totally unworkable.

So, I'm wondering, has anyone else had this problem? I cant think of what it would be, I calibrated my thermometer right before I made the batch. I've also made the salt water taffy from Joy of Cooking, which came out well and didnt stick to the wrappers (I also dusted it lightly with powdered sugar) but the flavor seemed a bit sweet, and the taffy slightly hard, though I didnt add any glycerine, since I didn have any at the time.

Anyways, I would like Greweling recipe to work out, but I cant really seem to do it. I'm wrapping them in wax paper, but they still stick. Would someone be able, please, to give me the recipe for salt water taffy from the At Home book, or tell me how it differs from the regular Chocolates and Confections recipe? Also, if you have a salt water taffy recipe that you like, please do share, this is the only candy I really is having a hard time getting down. Thanks all!

Where do you live? I generally think of taffy pulling as an autumn/winter sort of thing. I am not much of a candy-maker, but I know from my aunts who are, that humidity and ambient temperature can have terrible side effects of candies that are sticky, yet fluffy, such as divinity.