• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickling quail eggs - is this normal?

liuzhou

Having a glut of quail eggs taking up valuable beer space in the fridge, I decided to pickle them - a whole new experience. I looked at a load of recipes and finally decided to soak the hard boiled, unpeeled eggs overnight in just white rice vinegar (after they cooled).

As soon as I poured on the vinegar, it started to bubble and the the pretty speckling of the shell peeled off like it was just a covering of very thin paper, leaving behind pure white shells. Is this normal?

quail2 (Medium).jpg

After washing off the initial vinegar and the shell skins they look like this. These still have the shells on, but they have softened considerably.

quail3 (Medium).jpg

They are now peeled and in a new batch of vinegar with a bit of spicing.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I had a neighbor who raised his "Chinese Quail " and his wife pickled the eggs.

Her first act was to boil, then she peeled them by this method but she dissolved all the shell then washed. It tasted great and that has been since '75 so I'm guessing it isn't unhealthy either.

Robert

Seattle

I've decided that all the shell did dissolve - very quickly indeed. Probably for the reason budrichard gives. What was left was perhaps not the whitened shell as I said, but the membrane between the shell and the egg white.

Anyway, I washed away what remained of the shells and removed what I now take to be the membrane. The eggs are now sitting in fresh vinegar with spices. I did try one (or three) when I was peeling them and they tasted fine, but a bit lacking in something. Hope the spicing fixes that. Will know in a day or two.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

AHA! I buy farm eggs, and the only thing I don't like about them is they're damn near impossible to peel if one wants to make deviled eggs. Would this technique work to accomplish that?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I buy farm eggs, and the only thing I don't like about them is they're damn near impossible to peel if one wants to make deviled eggs. Would this technique work to accomplish that?

Even at the $6 to 7 per Dozen at the local farmers markets that question has a less than a dollar answer. Please let us know; I have never thought of trying it even if my old neighbor did it with Quail Eggs.

Robert

Seattle

"Even at the $6 to 7 per Dozen at the local farmers markets"

In Wisconsin the going rate for farmer raised eggs is $2/doz. The farmer I purchase from has them free ranging but this is not Yuppie country and most farmers could care less about organic.

I would suggest that you deal directly with a farmer that raises eggs outside of the local farmers market. I have found that many individuals at these type of things are not selling what they personally farm and or products of questionable origin. A little work in sourcing out the local producers should yield lower prices and maybe higher quality.-Dick

Edited by budrichard (log)