• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bean Pot Liquor

Paul Bacino

I made a batch of RG Yellow eye Beans.. I baked( covered ) them in just an aqueous solution with garlic cloves, bay, carrots, Lovage, parsley pepper corns and baked @ 260 for two hrs.. it looked good when I removed them but I allowed it to cool on the stove.. it appears that the liquor turn blackish.. and the green leaves looked the same!! would you dump the liquor and add a good ham stock or use it ( it smells good )? I'm making a variation of beans and Kale

Its good to have Morels

Did you use an aluminum pot? Those can react with greens and affect color and flavor.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I made a batch of RG Yellow eye Beans.. I baked( covered ) them in just an aqueous solution with garlic cloves, bay, carrots, Lovage, parsley pepper corns and baked @ 260 for two hrs.. it looked good when I removed them but I allowed it to cool on the stove.. it appears that the liquor turn blackish.. and the green leaves looked the same!! would you dump the liquor and add a good ham stock or use it ( it smells good )? I'm making a variation of beans and Kale

By 'blackish', do you mean that when you look into the pot-ful of liquid it looks murky, or that even if scoop up a little in a spoon it looks like that? Nothing that you put into the pot sounds like a problem, so perhaps the quantity you used just oxidized (or something similar: a lot of beans contain a fair number of sulfur compounds, if I remember correctly, and those can go black pretty easily) as it cooled, which I can't imagine being dangerous.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org