• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I Really Love My Oldish Knife

28 years ago my sweet wife gave me a 10" Chicago Cutlery chef's knife. I have purchased many other knives over the years. I have my traveling knives for cooking in other kitchens, knives for the people who help cook at the 2 Renaissance faires my wife and I cook at, and we have 2 knife blocks full of knives in our kitchen at home, plus more in a drawer. However, it is my 10" Chicago Cutlery knife that is still my knife of choice at home. An EdgePro Acme keeps it in good working order.

So tell me, my fellow egulleters, what tool do you have that is still your favorite after getting newer ones. I'm curious - and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

I like this topic...made me smile.

In my intense blue phase I bought our family a set of cutlery with blue acrylic handles a couple of decades ago, and my DH never really liked it. He eventually insisted on buying a larger, heavier, more expensive set for eating purposes.

So I put the smaller, lighter, blue set away in the garage for summer, picnic use. Bit by bit, I brought out one piece after another until I just gave in and brought back out the entire set and put them second down drawer. They fit my smaller hands perfectly and I use them for everything in cooking and baking and confection making that one would use a piece of cutlery for. I just love them, they're mine and I won't give them up. Ever. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have my dad's old Forschner boning knives that he would get from the knife reps by the dozen when he worked at a meat packing plant. I also use those completely cheap serrated knock-offs of Ginzu (?) knives and have had them for years. Scroll down to second image here for a sample.

I have a Ginsu that is older than the one you pictured and still use it nearly every day. I also have an 8-inch Henckles chefs knife which is about 28 or 30 years old that I still use but one newer one is old too and i really like it as well. By that I mean I have not had it a really long time but it was forged pre-WWII and comes from Sabatier. It is a 9-inch chef's knife made from carbon steel. It is really sharp but needs a lot of attention-ie polishing and honing and sharpening. I do all my sharpening by hand with stones. One of the stones is probably older than the knife.