• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
lizztwozee

Looking for a Better Bread Rise with Convection

Greetings, bread experts! I've been baking in a commercial gas convection oven for loaves sold at a Farmer's Market, and struggling to get the same spectacular rise I used to, out of my electric oven. I've learned a few things: proofing for longer in the pans makes breads rise higher in the oven; just a little overproofed results in a higher rise in the oven, for some reason. Also using a stone makes a big dif! Even when strap pans are just placed on the stone, the breads seem to be higher. And using steam, of course. But still not nearly as good as with an electric oven, on a stone, with steam just sprayed.

I'm wondering if my first bulk rise could be cooler, and it would create more energy for the second rise, and final oven burst. Currently, I'm bulk rising in a warming oven at 100 degrees or slightly over, for about 1.5 hours. Maybe a cooler 90 degrees (or lower?), for longer would help?

I'm also wondering if turning off the fan for the first 5 minutes or so would make for a higher initial burst, when steam is applied to the sides with a sprayer (also over the tops of the loaves). I've read that gas won't give the same results as electric, and that turning off the fans results in not much.

I've also been told that using a cover, sprayed on the inside with water, over the loaves works well. I've had limited success as far as getting my loaves to look like their electric counterparts, with this technique. And it's a pain!

What's your experience/recommendation?

Lizz

---

"you miss 100% of the shots you don't take"

-Wayne Gretzky

Here are a couple of photos that will illustrate the sorry story; note how lovely the multiple breads are with regards to rise and color, in comparison to the flat single loaf! Gaaaaaa. Amazingly, my breads are raved about, and sell out every weekend. I think some of the people are being fooled all of the time!

http://caledonia.patch.com/blog_posts/flax-seed-whole-wheat-bread-by-the-traveling-chef#photo-6696514

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

Hmm, I'm wondering if it's the oven, or the climate/environment of the kitchen....assuming that since you're baking in a diff oven, you're also using a fairly new workspace for the other steps. I don't think the flatter loaf is unattractive, it's just different. If the crumb & crust are good, then it's not all bad. If the loaves suffered, your customers would let you know, right?

Interesting observation, HungryC -- I'm baking in a kitchen that's connected to a meat processing plant, so the temperature is around 62-65 degrees. That's why I need to use the warming ovens for the bulk fermentation; perhaps since the rest and second rise are out of the ovens, at that temperature, it's too cold? I always assume a slow rise is better, and I do get a decent rise the second time, before placing in the oven.

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

Sounds like maybe you could use more steam during the initial bake. If you're only spraying the walls once, and running convection, the steam might be driven away too fast causing the crust to set up too fast. Consider adding a pan on the oven bottom and tossing in some ice or water, along with spraying.

TheTinCook: Great suggestion. I have a beat-up small sheet pan with some broken pieces of the same stone that lines the oven racks, which I can put hot water in, and not worry about it warping; I've always felt I need more steam. Good point. Mjx: My breads take only 15-20 mins. to bake at 400 degrees convection, so I'm thinking of letting them rise without convection for the first 10 minutes. I have to think the rise would be complete by then.

I'm also thinking of carrying in water, instead of using the city water at the kitchen; I've noticed when I first turn it on, it's red with iron (probably because no one has used the faucet for a week!), but maybe that indicates that the water is very hard; we have a well that must be less mineral-infused than that.

I measured the height of a 26 oz. (weight before baking) loaf I baked at home in a 1-lb tin -- 6 inches. That's my goal!

Can't wait to try everything this Friday, will post! Thanks, all.

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

Here's another thing you might try. I used this on my old gas non convection oven.

Preheat the oven to 375 deg F or so. Put the bread in, crank the dial to 500 deg F. Leave it for a few minutes, then dial it back to your initial baking temp.

This is so you get a big rush of heat when you put the bread in. Big heat increase promotes oven spring.

The way the oven's normal cycle is, it won't fire up the gas fast enough when you open the door, even though you lose ~50 deg F. It takes a while for the heat to redistribute and the thermocouple to react.

I also used split pavers to line the bottom of my oven to bake bread on. There were approx 1" thick, so I had thermal capacity to spare.

different oven and different result, im guessing everything else is the same and it seems elementary but have you put a thermometer in the oven to see what the actual temps are. A lot of ovens dont run at the temp you think they are at. And every kitchen ive been in, you temp a row of ovens all set to 350 and you get different temps sometimes upto 10 degree difference. When cooking not a big deal but when baking and looking for oven spring it becomes a different story

<<Edit>>

PS i know your probably not stupid but for those that are I dont mean stick your regular or candy thermometer in the oven, they make thermometers for ovens. I mention this only because I saw a culinary student do this just last semester.

Edited by brokenscale (log)

Good observation, brokenscale! Yes, I've checked and the oven is dead on. TheTinCook, I'm trying your suggestion, it's a good one. I have to open the big "suicide" doors for at least 1-2 minutes, in order to load the oven with the multiple small loaves that go 'way in the back, with a peel. Having the stone on the rack really helps with the spring and temperature consistency, I'm convinced.

breads_kitchen.jpg

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

Here's a photo of the "better" risen breads. They're gettin' there!

Lizz

---

-Wayne Gretzky

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JoNorvelleWalker
      Ankarsrum, the Swedish mixer of many names: Electrolux Assistent, DLX, Verona, Magic Mill...

I understand a few eGullet folks have these, or have had.  Mine came this afternoon.  From what I've read, mixing procedure with the Ankarsrum is different from mixing with planetary stand mixers.  At the moment I need advice specifically with whether I should use the dough hook (with or without the scraper arm) or the roller attachment for my bread.

The Ankarsrum manual says to use the dough hook for dough with between 1 and 1.5 liters of liquid ingredients.  OK.  My usual dough recipe uses 410 g of water.  Rose Levy Beranbaum in The Bread Bible says to use the dough hook when mixing less than 4 pounds of dough.  Which if my math is correct is about 750 g of water (math is not my thing).  Beranbaum adds "For larger amounts, use the roller and scraper."

Yet most bread recipes in the Ankarsrum recipe booklet that call for the dough hook use about a liter of liquid.  The recipes that call for the roller use less liquid, 400-600 ml.  Beranbaum is usually right but I'm wondering if she's wrong?

Thoughts or suggestions?

P.S.  Sparkling Gold was not my first color choice.  Sparkling Gold was perhaps not my thirteenth color choice.  But Sparkling Gold was 10 percent off.  Besides, the gold color matches the gold lettering on the bowl and dials.  Now I feel better.

• By jedovaty
      (Note: This topic was split from the Monkey Bread topic, to keep both discussions focused and relevant to the question at hand.)
      I made inverse puff pastry last week for "chasson aux pommes" (apple turnovers).  Never made puff pastry before.  Beginner's luck, turned out beyond expectations, super layers, butter, crisp exterior, tender honeycomb inerior (even without yeast!!), lightly sweet, slightly tart, it took every bit of will power not to eat them before taking them to work. 
      Based on all the suggestions, I saved the scraps, and additionally separated them by size and shape.  Seems like I can make something called "monkey bread", but I have no clue what that actually is.  I've researched it, and it seems I should just bunch it up with sugar and bake... but these aren't yeasted, sooooo wouldn't bunching these up screw up the layers and make more of a pie dough squishy thing?
      Reading the forums, with puff pastry I can make little cookies or crackers or other things.  But I'm not quite sure how to do this?  They are kind of small to twist into sticks or roll into arlettes?  Help please and thank you??? 🤝
      For now, I've put scraps in the freezer.

• By Pastrypastmidnight
      So I tried my hand at croissants for the first time in about 5 years. I used the recipe from the Bouchon Bakery cookbook. Despite the fact that I really struggled rolling them out (the dough was very stiff and resisted rolling), tore the dough layer in small patches quite a bit on the last turn, and probably took too long letting the butter get too warm, I got nice layers on the outside and on the interior and they did shatter nicely on the outside. I did not get that beautiful open honeycomb interior, however. 

I’d love any tips or feedback or advice anyone could offer to do better next time—thanks!

• By curls
      So, what is everyone doing for the pastry & baking side of Easter?

I'm working on the following chocolates: fruit & nut eggs, hollow bunnies, Jelly Belly filled bunnies, coconut bunnies, dragons (filled with rice krispies & chocolate), peanut butter hedgehogs, and malted milk hens. Hoping to finish my dark chocolate production today and get started on all my milk chocolate items.

My father-in-law will be baking the traditional family Easter bread a day or two before Easter. Its an enriched bread and he makes two versions -- one with raisins and one without (I prefer the one with raisins).

And I was lucky enough to spot this couple in the sale moulds stock at last year's eGullet chocolate & confections workshop in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario. These love bunnies help so very much with Easter chocolate production!  ;-)

• By Rene_lorraine
      I'm a pastry cook working in NYC. We have a seasonal bread that we do with chickpeas, garlic (fresh and confit) and pecorino. We drain and rinse the chickpeas and it was working for a while but it hasn't been consistent. Bread turns out flat. What is it in chickpeas that kills the yeast and how can we counteract the effect? I'm taking a long shot by posting but wanted to further educate myself and fellow team members. Thanks so much.