• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montauk Sandwich

tmjst

Growing up in a large family in New England, one of our standard menu items whas what Mom called a "Montauk," which is a simple open-faced broiled cheese sandwich topped with a slice of tomato and two strips of bacon.

I googled "Montauk Sandwich" recently, and found a couple of NYC-area restaurants with that exact sandwich on their menu. A Life Magazine from 1955 has a Kraft Cheese advertisement with a similar sandwich (sans tomato), with the assertion that "Its old-time Yankee name is 'Montauk.'" A couple of restaurants list a "Montauk Sandwich" with completely different ingredients.

So I'm curious about the origin of the name "Montauk" to describe an openfaced broiled cheese/tomato/bacon sandwich. Anybody know where it might have come from?

Edited by tmjst (log)

i grew up on shelter island from the 50's to the 70's but have never heard of it?!

don't know that i would ever take an openfaced sandwich out in montauk or hither hills - the gulls would be on you like...... a flock of flying rats.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

My Mom told me last night that she got the recipe from HER Mom, so it was probably called a Montauk well before WWII. I guess this may be a bit of culinary ephemera...