• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salsa verde/Green sauce presentation improvement

Toufas

At the moment I have a fishcake dish with a salsa verde on top. The problem is that I don't like how it looks on the plate but the flavour is spot on. Any ideas on how to "improve" the salsa verde? I don't want to hide it underneath nor drizzle it around/on the side. I was thinking of a mousse or a sphere of the jelly? Any other ideas?

Thank you!

I would puree it smooth, thicken with some set agar and xanthan gum. Use it on the bottom of the plate maybe some pickled heirloom carrots.

My concern about putting anything wet on top is making the crust soggy.

well, seems like more info would be helpful here :-)

I could see making a foam, blending it up and maybe even straining it for a clear liquid. maybe even add some green food color if you want really green (and/or yellow) - using natural colors of course.

Or cook it down to ketchup consistency? But w/o seeing/knowing what you have it's kind of hard to make suggestions :cool:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

The dish basically is a salmon and haddock fishcake sitting on a chilli fried pineapple ring and some leeks with a bit of lemon infused oil. Salsa verde is on top of that, then a dehydrated pineapple crisp.

I don't have any pictures handy :(