• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Kind of Pasta is This?

minas6907

Hey Everyone.

I was watching this video on youtube, and was wondering what kind of pasta your would call this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xB7V8I94mY

At 6:13, a pasta is being made, then, it does happen quickly, but it looks like the filling is piped out in a straight line and folded to make these very nice pockets. Would you call these raviolis? Anyone have any details on how to make these? I make raviolis on a semi regular basis, but the way they were doing it in the video, it seemed like it could be done very fast and made into a nice shape. Anyways, just wondering if anyone's seen it done like this before.

The filling is green, and the voiceover mentions an 'English pea agnolotti', so I'd be happy to bet that what we're seeing is the agnolottis being made.

Some pastas have a degree of ambiguity about their name. I've never known what the strict difference between fettucine and tagliatelle is, or if there even is one. I've seen the term 'agnolotti' simply defined as 'large ravioli', but I've also seen it used to describe semi-circlular raviolis too, which are also called 'mezzaluna' (half moons). The point at which a ravioli becomes an agnolotti, and an agnolotti becomes a mezzaluna will probably be irrelevant to some but a matter of critical importance to someone else...

That's definitely the agnolotti. It's covered in the french laundry cookbook. I've never been able to get it work, the filling squirts everywhere. I just pipe dots of filling instead of the line, and do the rest the same way.