• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hungarian/russain/slavic stores

Kim WB

Hello all,

I make my husband a Slovakian Christmas bread, we callit poppy seed roll but it probalby has an officail name.

Anyway, the place I go to for kielbasa, pierogyis and such , and poppy seeds, ( Europena Provisions, South River) doesn't have any. Another local option in Trenton is sold out as well.

Therefore, do you have any "kielbasa" stores around? And, please provide as much info as possible regarding address, since I will need to look them up and call before traversing the state.

Thanks in advance of your help.

There is a very large Russian population in Fair Lawn, in Bergen County. I think in Russian the bread is called "Sooshka" There is a Russian specialty foods outlet called B & B International Foods, 12-17 River Road, Fair Lawn, Tel. 201-794-0115. I have never been to this place so call them to see if they have what you are looking for.

Well, I got some tips from a Slovak friend. He said the name of what you're making is probably makovnik. He said it was streudel-like with poppy seeds folded in (or something along those lines). He also talked about a Christmas Eve bread for which he couldn't give an English transliteration.

However, he recommended one of the Polish stores that I was thinking about as a possibility, as well as a Hungarian store which is supposedly much better. He said that the poppy seeds are already "prepared" and ready to be combined with sugar and other ingredients. I don't know the names of either of these stores (and I know a couple of other Polish stores too), but I know where they all are and it's only a short drive for me to find out the details. I'll be back with more info later...

Both of my dear departed grandmothers made poppyseed roll (makivnyk) and there was just something about theirs that I can't replicate and miss terribly. For poppyseeds, check out either Pulaski market or more likely Bratek's, both in Linden, or Lazirko Olympic Ukrainian market on 40th st in Irvington. (the best kobasy at Lazirko's as well). The Christmas eve bread mentioned earlier is probably Kolach.

Edited by Taboni (log)

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

First, thank you for the replies.

Knowing the "real" name allowed me to do a search, and I now have Makivnyk info to share with my in law family, who all love these rolls.

The internet won't work, I need them soon. I celebrate Christmas with my husband's family the week before, as mom-in-law then travels to VA to be with her daughter's family. I scheduled in baking days a month ago..gotta stick to the plan! :laugh:

I think I have located a source in Allentown, NJ, which is in Burlington Cty. But later today I will be calling the other places named, since they are the same travel time away, but there are lots of good MALLS to stop at along the way, where as Cumberland County is mostly cranbury bogs.

Thank you all....to me, this is what makes E-gullet the best...

Edited by Kim WB (log)

• 4 weeks later...

To add to the growing list, there's a place on rt 27 in highlands park that probably sells the seeds. Its called International food store, but its run completely by Russians. Their prepackaged makovnik is alright too. But I always go there for affordable and quite good salmon roe ($16-24/lb depending on quality; i've enjoyed selections from all price ranges). What can be better than starting your day with fresh salty soy milk and crab soup dumplings at Shanghai Park and then moseying over 5 min south for some makovnik and enough roe for the next 2 weeks? :biggrin:

). What can be better than starting your day with fresh salty soy milk and crab soup dumplings at Shanghai Park and then moseying over 5 min south for some makovnik and enough roe for the next 2 weeks?  :biggrin:

I'm not familiar with Shanghai Park..where is it? Thanks.

Shanghai Park

239 Raritan Avenue

Highland Park, NJ 08904

They make consistent efforts to sell the usual terrible food to white customers, but, when pressed, will joyfully hand over the heavenly soup dumplings!

hey!

Shanghai Park serves more than just soup dumplings!!

They have a wonderful array of Shanghai style cold dishes and a whole blackboard filled with great specials. That whole stretch of Route 27 between New Brunswick and Edison is filled with great Asian restaurants.

And if you just go a bit past Edison and into Linden, you'll find the Eastern European shops and restaurants that began this thread.

Oh, I would never imply that the soup dumplings are all of Shanghai Park.

However, it must be recognized that they are, arguably, the best on the East Coast.

With the cold dishes, I have had highly variable experiences. The jelly fish I so hoped for was only alright. But the fresh salty tofu with chilly and the scallion pancake are phenomenal. For lunch, this simply cannot be beat.

Feel free to share your favorite selections!

Oh, I would never imply that the soup dumplings are all of Shanghai Park.

However, it must be recognized that they are, arguably, the best on the East Coast...

Well, by all means... begin the argument in the China and Chinese Cuisine Forum!!

Better yet, start up a thread on this forum about Shanghai Park. This place sounds good, so I don't want to see it get buried in an Eastern European thread!