• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Would tomato coagulate aioli?

gfweb

I took roasted garlic, sun dried tomatoes, an ounce of olive oil and about 1.5 cups mayo and blended it to homogeneity in the Blend Tech. It was creamy and wonderful. 30 sec later it was a lumpy coagulated mess.

Is there some enzyme in the tomato that coagulates mayo?

What did I do wrong?

Considering that Sauce Andalouse is a tomato and pepper-flavored mayonnaise from classic French cuisine, I don't think the tomato is the culprit here. Though I guess the heating from making the tomato puree in that case may destroy an enzyme, if that were the cause. So may drying for sun-dried tomatoes, though. Was it a homemade mayo, or store-bought?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I have made hundreds of variants on mayo from scratch in the past couple of years as part of a project, and haven't had this happen. I did run a bunch of formulations using pureed sun dried tomatoes, and never saw anything like this.

It wasn't by chance the Hellman's Light version, was it? -That product contains xanthan gum and starch in fairly precise amounts to maintain the consistency.

My only other thought, if it was the regular mayo, is that tomatoes do contain pectin, and the batch you got was very high in it.

This is funny you mention this about the tomatoes. I had a very similar thing happen to me a few years ago, although I cant really remember exactly what I did. I was trying to make a tomato aioli by first making the mayo, then I think I tried to add some canned tomato sauce, thinking I'd blend it together then put it through a chinois, and the stuff separated beyond repair. I never attempted it since, I thought maybe it had to do with the canned sauce.