• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marrowfat peas

lmarshal1

When we have traveled in the UK, Ireland, and New Zealand, we have been served a variety of mushy peas, which I hate to admit, I rather like. In Dublin in November we had some large peas, not mushy really, just served with butter and salt, tasty enough that I went to a nearby grocery store and purchased two boxes of Batchelor's Marrowfat Peas. I'm just getting around to fixing them. A couple questions: What is the purpose of the steeping tablet in the box with the dried peas? To cut down on starch or maybe flatulence? Shortly, I will drain the peas after soaking them all day, rinse again and cook. I'm planning to add fresh-ground pepper, butter, and a bit of minced ham. Any other ideas? Will these be anything like soup beans? Or just mushy peas? Thanks. lkmarshal

The steeping tablet is sodium bicarbonate which helps soften the peas during soaking. It also prevents fermentation during the soaking time, thereby reducing the flatulence risk.

How does the softening effect come about? I can't imagine the sodium bicarbonate would do anything useful to mitigate flatulence, since that's primarily caused by the presence of indigestible (to humans) carbohydrates that are subsequently feasted on by gut bacteria; fermentation of the flatulence-causing carbohydrates itself can actually reduce the problem.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

"fermentation of the flatulence-causing carbohydrates itself can actually reduce the problem."

Not if it is occurring in your colon!

:biggrin: But... preventing fermentation during the soaking time would just mean more unfermented carbohydrate in the colon!

It also seems as though the bicarb. might affect flavour in some way; does it?

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Here's a link to show what is actually in the soaking tablet.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog