• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My First Real Hard Candies!

minas6907

Hey all!

Yesterday I made these peppermint candies, and I'm actually really happy with how they came out! I made a thread about the best way (at home) to keep the sugar warm, and actually what I found is that having an oven 200f with a silpat lined sheet pan worked the best. The griddle idea worked ok, but it was all too easy to heat the griddle up too hot, and it was constant fiddling with the temp, turning it off and on, trying to keep it at a constant temp. But the oven worked great! When I need to warm the sugar slightly, I would just put it inside the oven for 30-45 sec or so and keep working, so that was by far the easiest to do.

But I did have a few questions, perhaps someone can help me. I ordered some flavors from LorAnn Oils, and I was wondering how much I should put in a batch of candy. The recipe I've been using is from Chocolates ans Confections, its a 1/2 batch, so measuring 32oz. The Candy below has peppermint oil for a flavor, which I put in 4 'squeezes' with a dropper, which I would estimate mabye added up to 1 teaspoon. Now, I do understand that an oil is stonger flavor then the other flavors carried by LorAnn, so for an artificial flavor, like licorice, how much more should I add? I know I'll be doing some trial and error, but could someone give me a starting point? I was thinking of doing mabye a teaspoon and a half, I havent done it, but we'll see.

Also, what would be the correct time be for adding one of the flavors? On the LorAnn website, they say that they can withstand heat, so I took this to mean I should add the flavoring while the sugar is in the pot, right before I pour it out, but in Grewelings book, he says on page 183, paragraph 2 that the flavors should be added after the cooking process, one the sugar has begun to cool. I havent tried it that way yet, but can someone provide some advice in this area? Did I lose flavor from the oil by adding it while the sugar was in the pot, right before I poured it out?

Also, in Greweling's book, under the defects page on 194, under 'hard candy,' when it says "Candy crystallized during storage," what does that exactly mean? I've dont my best to understand it, but really, what would the candy look like if it recrystallized?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Peppermint Candy.JPG

Now, I do understand that an oil is stronger flavor then the other flavors carried by LorAnn, so for an artificial flavor, like licorice, how much more should I add? I know I'll be doing some trial and error, but could someone give me a starting point? I was thinking of doing mabye a teaspoon and a half, I havent done it, but we'll see.

Also, what would be the correct time be for adding one of the flavors? On the LorAnn website, they say that they can withstand heat, so I took this to mean I should add the flavoring while the sugar is in the pot, right before I pour it out, but in Grewelings book, he says on page 183, paragraph 2 that the flavors should be added after the cooking process, one the sugar has begun to cool. I havent tried it that way yet, but can someone provide some advice in this area? Did I lose flavor from the oil by adding it while the sugar was in the pot, right before I poured it out?

Also, in Greweling's book, under the defects page on 194, under 'hard candy,' when it says "Candy crystallized during storage," what does that exactly mean? I've dont my best to understand it, but really, what would the candy look like if it recrystallized?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

One or two answers of a sort:

I have never measured the LorAnn oils but certainly don't use anything like a teaspoon and a half and I make mine for kids. I might use a half teaspoon. Never used peppermint. Hate peppermint.

NO!!! Don't add the flavoring until the boiling has stopped. And after the coloring. The flavoring will flash burn off if the candy is too hot. And DON'T ever breathe near the flavoring when you put it in...or suffer.

If the candy recrystallizes it will be all grainy or have grainy portions in it.

You have done really well, especially taking on two colors for your first batch!!! :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I have never measured the LorAnn oils but certainly don't use anything like a teaspoon and a half and I make mine for kids. I might use a half teaspoon. Never used peppermint. Hate peppermint.

NO!!! Don't add the flavoring until the boiling has stopped. And after the coloring. The flavoring will flash burn off if the candy is too hot. And DON'T ever breathe near the flavoring when you put it in...or suffer.

Hey, thanks for the answers. I figured about the recrystallization, but wasn't sure, I had never seen it. Also, I will do what you suggested, adding the flavor while it is cooling, after boiling. Out of curiosity, how large is the batch of candy that you make?

I'm going to make a licorice candy soon with black stripes, I want to practice before my friends wedding, they are going to have a candy bar, and everything is going to be black and white to go along with the color scheme.

Hey, thanks for the answers. I figured about the recrystallization, but wasn't sure, I had never seen it. Also, I will do what you suggested, adding the flavor while it is cooling, after boiling. Out of curiosity, how large is the batch of candy that you make?

I'm going to make a licorice candy soon with black stripes, I want to practice before my friends wedding, they are going to have a candy bar, and everything is going to be black and white to go along with the color scheme.

How much do I make? Yes...we could be talking about vastly different sizes of batches. Normally 1 1/2 cups at a time.

Looked at your candy again. Looks superb. Was in such a tizzy earlier...visitors for Chinese lunch, etc...didn't notice your lollipop. Beautiful. You don't by any chance live in Ontario, do you???? That would be great. :biggrin: We could make candy together with my confectionery partner, Barbara. (This week we are doing filled chocolate shells.)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.