• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Winds of Change at Wynn

Last week we heard the shocking news that the Wynn was closing its flagship restaurant Alex with nary a whit of advance notice. You can read a bit of that discusssion here. The restaurant will shutter after dinner service on January 15 and be turned into a special events banqueting hall.

There has been barely a whisper from the heads at Wynn about the closing of Alex other than to quietly say that Chef Alex Stratta will stay on at his causal Italian eatery "Stratta." (And if you believe that I have a pink cow on Las Vegas Boulevard to sell you).

Now today comes more devastating news for both food aficianados and the general public. Executive Pastry Chef Frederic Robert crafted his last breads and desserts at Wynn last Friday. No advance notice, no thank you for the sweet memories. Nada.

Daniel Boulud left Wynn in 2010 and the space is now another high-end, (price), low-end (personality) joint serving "American Cuisine."

We're left to wonder what the future holds for the remaining Chefs and restaurants at Wynn and Encore. Will Paul Bartolotta stay? Will the property be reduced to a stable of 10 steakhouses?

I know Las Vegas likes to change a lot and how it constantly re-invents itself. Steve Wynn is one guy that certainly has led the charge in the past. IMHO, it was for the better. Restaurants come and go, but it's sad when a true gem shuts down. I fully understand that these are very trying times for everyone out there. They have to make ends meet. Maybe the only way Wynn can do this is to cater to a crowd that won't go for a formal place like 'Alex'. David already detailed changes on the food and beverage scene at Wynn, but if you go to Las Vegas regularly and follow along with what is going on out at Wynn, you know about other changes. Encore added TWO club areas last lear. The "Beach Club" and another night club (Surrender). They want a different clientele. OK.. Fine. They can't keep a fancy formal place around for the folks that don't want to line up at XS or Surrender or pay a ton of money hang out in an ultra crowded pool all day long? That seems kinda odd to me. Caesars Palace can figure it out. So can MGM Grand. Honestly, I'm really surprised Wynn, of all places on the Strip, a place I considered to be the classiest place, can't figure it out. Or maybe worse, simply doesn't want to.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"