• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinning Chocolate

Raule

I´m just working on dipping chocolate ganache in El Rey Mijao 61% dark choc. , but it seems to me it´s a litle thick. Do you have any information on this topic. I´ve read that most people adds cocoa butter from 5 to 10% for thining purposes. Can you help me?

Yes, just add cocoa butter. Seems like 10% would be too much, considering that couverture is around 30% fat, and the difference between a thicker chocolate and couverture is probably less than 10%. When I thin chocolate, I just go by feel, adding cocoa butter and letting it melt until I am happy with the consistency. I have added it while the chocolate is melting and warm, around 120F to make sure the butter melts well, then temper as usual.

I agree, 10% is a little high for what you're wanting to do. The most I ever add is 5% and that's to a pretty thick white chocolate. Start with 3% and see what that does. My guess is it will be enough.

Another thought - perhaps you could raise the temperature of your chocolate to the higher end of the temper temperature range. Keep this in mind especially after dipping for awhile.

Good luck!

Thanks for your answers, I already try with a little increment in working temp. (32,5 and 32,7 °C) and it works much better, perhaps I must work a little this condition before trying the addition of cocoa butter . I'll let you know the results.

Thanks and Happy New Year