• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezing Lemon and Other Citrus Zest

Shel_B

Hi Gang,

Will citrus zest, especially lemon (in various varieties)and orange, take well to freezing? I got a great deal on lemons and would like to freeze the juice, which should be no problem, but what about freezing the zest?

Kind regards,

... Shel

of course, it's not as good as fresh...but you knew that.

i find that freezing bigger swaths, rather than finely grated or microplaned zest works best. i think it's a surface area thing, but i'm not so good in the science department. i've had good luck (when i've had a glut of meyer lemons) with pulsing the frozen swaths of zest with sugar to make meyer lemon sugar.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I like that idea. I'll give it a try and see how it works out ...

i find that freezing bigger swaths, rather than finely grated or microplaned zest works best. i think it's a surface area thing, but i'm not so good in the science department. i've had good luck (when i've had a glut of meyer lemons) with pulsing the frozen swaths of zest with sugar to make meyer lemon sugar.

... Shel