• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fermented Bean Curd

Jinmyo

Do you use fermented bean curd as a condiment? Do you have any advice on its use with vegetables or meats? Any unusual ideas about its use.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Ha ha. Okay. I love the stinkiness and sharpness of it with gai lan and many other vegetables. And with chiles.

Thanks for nothing, Ed. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

I like fermented bean curd, not just with certain vegetables, but sometimes even with rice (although I do not generally like rice). As Ed noted, the red variety is useful for cooking pork, including in certain preparations involving earthenware pots. :wink: The sharpness of fermented bean curd that Jinny noted could be useful in some of the ways that mustard is utilized in French cuisine, although admittedly fermented bean curd is more aggressive. I have been wondering about this possibility. :blink:

Dear Jinyo

Fermented Bean Curd is one of the condiement especially goes well with porridge (made of rice). We used to eat it for breakfast. We also serve some preserved cucumber, roasted peanuts and preserved sadrines alongside.

You can use fermented bean curd for stir fry chicken. There is one very famous Cantonese dish name after it. I will go home to check the receipe for you. It is extremely easy.

Dear ED,

A well made fermented bean curd is extremely delicious. I wish one day I can show you some well made one.

Ann

Ann, yes, fermented tofu is great in congee. And with chicken.

By the way, Ed. When I said "thanks for nothing" I was just kidding. But I'm not kidding when I say thank you for for participating in this Q&A.

TO JINMYO RE: FERMENTED BEANCURD

Obviously I wasn't just kidding when I said, to put it more politely, I hadn't yet developed a taste for 'fu yi'.

In Taiwan there is a type of fermented beancurd that they sell primarily as street food (not a condiment). It really smells horrible to me. Many of the streets there are partially covered over by the sides of buildings canterlevered over the sidewalk. This 'roof' can be rather low and as a result smells tend to saturate a particular area. While walking around town if I came across a fermented beancurd vendor I found myself walking in the other direction quite quickly. I am not normally such a squeemish guy.

Thanks for your sweet note.

Dear Ed, I know exactly what you means. :laugh:

Dear Jinmyo.

Following receipe is the famous dish created in HK restaurant called Taou Taou in 1930'. Try and enjoy it!

Fermented bean curd and Chicken wing

Chicken Wing 900 g ( only the meaty section maintained, you do not need the end part)

Oil- 1 tablespoon

Some chopped garlic ( two gloves at least)

Cornstratch 1/2 teaspoon

Water 1 Tablespoon

Fermented bean curd one large cube

Shaoshing rice wine 1 tablespoon

Sugar 1 table spoon

salt

1. clean the chicken wing and dry it properly

2. Deep fry the chicken wing until pale golden color and immediately take the chicken wing out

3. Mix other ingredients well as a sauce like

4. Put the chicken wing into an container and mix with the sauce

5. Steam it for 15 to 20 minutes until it is tender

Ann

Thank you, Ann. I've done chicken with fermented tofu many time but never chicken wings.