• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steamed Pork with Dried Scallops

Jinmyo

I forget what it's called but there is a dish which involves steaming diced pork (it's almost in a cake of diced pork) with dried scallops and dried shrimps, or alternatively with salted fish. Sometimes one places scallions on top.

I know someone who loves that dish. I wonder if you know a good place for it in New York City.

Also, do you use dried scallops (roughly sounds like "gong yue chu" in Cantonese) in your cooking often? They have a wonderful texture and are concentrated in flavor.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Sounds like you mean steamed MINCED pork, not diced.

Basically this dish is a homestyle Chinese version of meatloaf. Ground lean and fat pork is flavored and mixed like a dumpling filling and then topped with savory stuff: salted fish, dried mushrooms, dried scallops are typical toppings. I like the version where you break some eggs over the meat, sunnyside style. It takes about 20 minutes to steam.

I don't go to or know of any particular place to eat this, but it is something you'd find in an smaller, homey authentic Cantonese restaurant. In NYC places to check out would include Tai Hung Lau ( 70? Mott St.), Congee Village (Allen St. just south of Delancey), and Sun Luk Kee (recently moved from 13 Mott to Main St just south of Northern Blvd. in Flushing). It is a type of dish that might not appear on the regular English menu but might be available if you inquired.

Ed

I like the version where you break some eggs over the meat, sunnyside style.

Yes, or where the Chinese salted egg is utilized in the manner Ed described. :raz:

Always the last word on eggs. :smile:

There is never a last word on eggs. :smile:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM