• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dry age refrigeration

Steven Ewing

I am wanting to dry age our own beef at our new restaurant and I am having a tough time finding the proper refrigeration. I have noticed that whole foods has these small coolers that they dry age their beef in. Does anyone know where I could get one of these?

Thanks for the input.

What sort of conditions are required for 'hanging'? (And are they different for beef, lamb, and game?)

Temperature, humidity, even airchange. Anyone got any numbers for what any commercial units are giving?

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Thank you all for your input on the conditions needed for properly dry aging beef. I have researched it intently and am familiar with the conditions that I should be looking for but what I want is a cooler like the ones at whole foods. My restaurant has a small retail butcher shop in the plans and I have been intending to offer a few cuts that have been dry aged in house that we could also serve in the dining room.

I know that I could modify an existing cooler and it may be the way that I go, but I would rather find out who manufactures a small dry age cooler like the ones I have seen at whole foods.

I haven't actually seen one of the whole foods coolers in person (there is no whole foods with one anywhere near me) but I have seen them on... Top Chef. heh. They say "dry age" right on the side of them and it looks as though they are aging right in that cooler as they appear untrimmed. That would be a perfect size for what I have in mind.

Does anyone know anybody that works at a whole foods or does anyone have a good relationship with their butcher at a whole foods? Maybe ask them to check out who the manufacturer and what the model number is? :)

I know it is a shot in the dark and a lot to ask but I thought it was worth asking.

Any help would be appreciated and if your help gets me a cooler then I will buy you a steak next time you are near Vancouver Canada.

Thanks!

Here is an interesting article discussing dry aging: Dry Aging. It gives an awful lot of information regarding temperatures etc. and should be a very good starting point.

Thanks!
Dry aged beef is placed in an aging cooler with a controlled temperature between 35-38° and humidity of 50-60%.

So, cold fridge temperature, but rather more humid.

The trick would be in the humidity control; the temperature shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

• 2 weeks later...

Steve this store in NJ has the case you are looking for and might be small enough to actually answer your question LOL

Corrados Market

201 Berdan Ave

Wayne, NJ, 07470

973-646-2199

http://www.corradosmarket.com

http://www.facebook.com/corradosmarket

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association