• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethics and Work of Raising Chickens

Okay, dcarch,

Point taken.

Unfortunately I know people here in NC, who are hardworking, good people, who consistently vote these "representatives" into power. They are the majority in this state, which is quite lovely other than that.

Sadly, many of these constituents are the nearly broke farmers who own the land and take out loans from Perdue, et. al, to build these abhorrent chicken barns. They only get a little money for doing all the work while the corporations rack up, and we consumers suffer from very, very reduced quality. To the point that this is the only country I am aware of where salmonella bacteria are thriving on so much of the mainstream chicken available.

Even when you take the probability of suffering of the harvest animals completely out of the equation, factory farming seems not to be a good system for anyone (including millions of U.S. consumers) except for the corporations and their investors.

No one I can conceive of would advocate for giving poor children or grandfolks or pregnant ladies salmonella poisoning, except those with a strong monetary interest in doing just that as collateral damage to their profits, and perhaps their government puppets.

Well-raised chicken just tastes so much better too.

> ^ . . ^ <

Okay, dcarch,

Point taken.

--------- Well-raised chicken just tastes so much better too.----"

Yes, for those who can afford the price.

"------- , and egg brokers who supply the California market have been ringing up egg producers all across the country, offering high prices for eggs that meet California's new rules.

California's consumers, though, will pay. "We can confirm that egg prices have gone up at least 35 percent. Some have reported going up 70 percent," ---------"

Next, free range pigs, free range cows -------

49 million (USA) poor people? "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!"

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I consider myself squarely within that 49 million poor people (which IMO is underestimated because some of us don't seek public aid).

I still come down on the side of reforming factory farming practices for all the aforementioned reasons.

This IS happening, as many of the largest US food suppliers are realizing that consumers expect more than the dreck that's available from the mainstream food suppliers, and McDonald's, Walmart, Pizza Hut, Subway, Taco Bell, and others are responding at least with lip service and some timelines to correct themselves.

There's hope for the common folk, and there's hope for the hapless harvest chickens. Everyone will win except the stockholders, but they are the minority, and they need to be aware that even poor stupid victims have some limits that they cannot go beyond to satisfy their ruthless greed.

> ^ . . ^ <