• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blogging; Narcissism or Marketing

adey73

Just been directed to a blog about that achingly outre topic of cooking sealed food items in regulated tepid water.

Couldn't see a pixel of knowledge that hadn't been lifted from this very site, without reference, whilst delivered with the self valediction of first hand inquiry. Each supine entry had been punctuated with reviews of equipment bequeathed liberally by the manufacturer or supplier.

Is this some strain of phlegm driven viral marketing to protest against or a canny way getting myself a 'well proportioned, exquisite vacuum chamber with a small footprint that far surpasses all possible expectations"?

Utterly shocked at your thought process....

Last week I had a e-mail request from a blogger, wanted to come to my place to write about the Saturday high tea that we put on, and requested a table for two--he really wanted to take his mother with him. The request was written in such a way that is was unmistakeable not to assume he wanted it for free. He also made mention of his various blogs. I looked at his stuff, not much food knowledge, boasts "over 17 years experience" but doesn't actually say experience in what--and here's the kicker--he 's also a "brand consultant" AND a "marketing consultant".

I got the feeling like I was a packaged steak in a supermarket case being prodded through the plastic wrap....

After some thought I offered a compromise: One meal for free and the second one at a 10% discount. The blogger hemmed and hawed, booked, then cancelled, then booked again--3 times. This morning he put the whole thing "on hold for a while".

Sure glad I'm not his mother...................