• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Members Culinary Development

Kerry Beal

On occasion, when I have too much time on my hands (or I'm procrastinating) and the active forums are a little slow - I'll go back over some of the older topics in search of inspiration or entertainment.

I happened across this topic in which Nightscotsman is asking the group about which pastry school to attend. Knowing that Neil is now working in high end pastry in Vegas, and feeling a little like I know him from having watched all his posts over the years about marshmallows, high end pastry books, and who can forget his Pictures from Pastry School topic - I found it fascinating to observe him in his seminal phase.

I've watched Truffle Guy go from asking about starting a chocolate business to reporting back One Year Later on his phenomenal success.

Who can forget chocoera's first post asking our advice on choosing a location for a chocolate shop. She's got a going concern running there now.

As you can see my view is a little P&B centric - but I've also watched with fascination such folks as Chris Hennes go from being a chocolate and charcuterie newbie - to a competent practitioner.

I'd love to see forum members go back and look at their own development as it is reflected in the forums and post here about how much they have grown in a culinary way - and perhaps make any observations they have on other eG members culinary growth as well.

It might be a bit harder to quantify my improvement in cookery since I'm firmly on the amateur side of the community but my food photos have gotten much better (there's still plenty of room for improvement, though).

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I don't think it would be possible to look at any developing I've done via eGullet. If I've posted pics of my job-related work here, I don't remember it. Most of my eGullet stuff that showed any work was fun and experimental weirdness or late night creations when I was feeling energetic after work, usually the result of trading riffs with Rob when he was around or having someone ask a question about something and seeing if I could make it work. Posting about what I do at work isn't really what I come here for. I come here to play. :biggrin:

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I learned a great deal about cocktails and restaurant bar service here on eG Forums, from members who are among the most important figures in the industry. Now, a few years later, the restaurant whose cocktail program I've helped to design and at which I now work once a week has been getting rave reviews, hosts regular cocktail workshops that I teach, and was just named one of the best new restaurants in the US by Esquire magazine. Couldn't have done it without everyone here.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I don't necessarily mean you need to look at eG as being responsible for your (or someones else's) culinary growth - just noticing how over time the forums reflect those changes. Although I certainly know I've learned a ton from others here (and done my share of teaching others as well).

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Yeah, I guess I didn't really word what I posted very well. Reading it later, it sounds kinda like I was minimizing the value of these forums to me. I have learned a lot through these forums and much of what I've learned here has helped me grow in what I do. I just don't really post about my job much so there's no visual evidence for anybody to gauge whether or not I've progressed. I'm currently learning an incredible amount through the cocktail and spirits forum, much thanks to the above Mr. Amirault who seems to have no problem with paying it forward when we newbies ask our silly beginner questions. I've watched the progress of people who, when they first joined the forums, were asking the most basic of questions and who now, in their area of interest, frequently provide information that I'm looking for. It's an awesome thing to see and at the same time it's a bit of a kick in the pants... it sometimes makes me feel like I'm resting on my heels rather than pushing forward as hard as I could be.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.