• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foods your significant other thinks they hate..

FoodMuse

Well, he thought he hated yogurt, till I informed him that the "sour cream" he's been eating for two years has been Greek yogurt. Now he's ok with it, and I can serve it right from the carton on the table, instead of putting it into a little crock.

When we met, he hated anything guacamole-green, like guacamole, avocado, pea soup...till I hounded, shamed and berated him enough to at least TRY my pea soup, and now he's ok with it. He even eats guacamole. I think he realized that even that one was stupid.

I think, as far as my husband goes, we've gotten over most of our issues. I have close friends, on the other hand... Her husband thinks he's lactose intolerant, and he just might be, but it applies across the board. He will turn something down if there's even a rumor of cheese or any kind of dairy. Except if you don't tell him. My key lime pie is his favorite dessert. With his wife's consent, I omitted the fact that I use condensed milk. Bologonese sauce was another one, he loves tomato sauce, but will refuse it if there's cheese at all. She said "tell him you made some special, without cheese, he'll be fine." I shrugged, and served it up. He loved it. There's cheese AND heavy cream. She does it to him all the time, because she knows what will affect him, and what's ok, hell, we're all lactose intolerant, only we don't suspend our issues for stuff we like. He ate homemade ice cream at my house, and I asked, "are you going to be alright?" He was like...."I think I'll manage. I can handle this, there's not a lot of lactose here, probably" as he was nomming away on my French style vanilla custard. So, now we sort of giggle about it. (obviously, if it was an honest to God allergy, I'd take it quite seriously)

Well, he thought he hated yogurt, till I informed him that the "sour cream" he's been eating for two years has been Greek yogurt. Now he's ok with it, and I can serve it right from the carton on the table, instead of putting it into a little crock.

When we met, he hated anything guacamole-green, like guacamole, avocado, pea soup...till I hounded, shamed and berated him enough to at least TRY my pea soup, and now he's ok with it. He even eats guacamole. I think he realized that even that one was stupid.

I think, as far as my husband goes, we've gotten over most of our issues. I have close friends, on the other hand... Her husband thinks he's lactose intolerant, and he just might be, but it applies across the board. He will turn something down if there's even a rumor of cheese or any kind of dairy. Except if you don't tell him. My key lime pie is his favorite dessert. With his wife's consent, I omitted the fact that I use condensed milk. Bologonese sauce was another one, he loves tomato sauce, but will refuse it if there's cheese at all. She said "tell him you made some special, without cheese, he'll be fine." I shrugged, and served it up. He loved it. There's cheese AND heavy cream. She does it to him all the time, because she knows what will affect him, and what's ok, hell, we're all lactose intolerant, only we don't suspend our issues for stuff we like. He ate homemade ice cream at my house, and I asked, "are you going to be alright?" He was like...."I think I'll manage. I can handle this, there's not a lot of lactose here, probably" as he was nomming away on my French style vanilla custard. So, now we sort of giggle about it. (obviously, if it was an honest to God allergy, I'd take it quite seriously)

This has me laughing outloud!!

Grace Piper, host of Fearless Cooking

www.fearlesscooking.tv

My eGullet Blog: What I ate for one week Nov. 2010

Subscribe to my 5 minute video podcast through iTunes, just search for Fearless Cooking

Exactly - I think that with my SO a lot of it is in his mind. He just has his mind made up...if you don't tell him otherwise...he never even notices. But I agree if it was a real allergy I would be much more concerned.

My fiance claims an aversion to pork. She says it makes her feel sick. But she'll eat pepperoni or Canadian bacon on a pizza. And she loves tacos al pastor. Sweet and sour pork from our local dive Cantonese restaurant is good, too. Even a slice of pork in her ramen is fine. Oh, and bacon at breakfast. Or on a burger. But just try to make pork chops or chile verde for dinner...