• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! I need a dough scoop! (Lefty)

ScoopKW

I started volunteering at a ThreeSquare today. I need the experience, and they do high volume.

Today I worked a short day because I had a final exam at culinary school. My activity for today was muffins. 500 of them. We would have made 1,000 but we were short on eggs.

I had to dose the batter into paper sleeves using a traditional thumb-activated ice cream scoop. Being left handed, this was about as comfortable as chewing on aluminum foil. I was told that the batter was too thin for a pastry bag and too thick for a pancake doser.

Since making muffins by the ton looks to be a steady thing for me, I need a better scoop. I want something that has a powerful spring, with good response. It should be heavy enough to last forever, but no heavier.

Suggestions?

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Speaking as a fellow lefty, I've got one (or 3) of these scoops. The whole handle is a the release lever and I find that I have no trouble operating it by

squeezing with my fingers (rather than depressing it with my thumb).

Furthermore, the construction of the handle and gears is all very sturdy plastic so it can go in the dishwasher no problem without rusting.

Here is the manufacturer's web site: Zeroll

They come in all sizes. King Arthur Flour (the first link) has the correct sizes picked out for muffins, cookie table spoons, and cookie teaspoons (meaning "heaping).

I agree with KarenDW

I have just about every size of those scoops purchased from Fantes.com, including the odd shapes.

I love the rectangular one for portioning mixtures, such as chicken salad, on tea sandwiches when I am preparing a large batch.

I am unable to use a regular thumb lever disher because of arthritis in my right thumb.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett