• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Pre Lincoln Center

SIPiller

Jean Georges, of course. I'd echo your sentiments about Picholine and Cafe des Artistes, although I haven't been to either in a while.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'll second the Marika recommendation, and you can't go wrong at Jean Georges. You might also want to travel a little farther afield. For example, you're certainly within striking distance of any restaurant on Central Park South (such as Atlas -- though I haven't been since Paul Liebrandt left).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 1 year later...

I never thought I would find myself subordinating food to any other pass-time because I usually plan my evenings around it, but alas, tomorrow, I am going to see Aida, and would appreciate some guidance on where to eat a resaonably priced meal (about 30-40 dollars per person (plus tax and tip), but we probably won't eat dessert, and may not drink which should allow some flexibility.

But because of an early curtain time of 7:30, we won't have much time. I don't think that ranging through the UWS should be a problem, but I'd like to dine reasonably close to the Center. If that proves impossible I will consider moving futher away. Any and all member input is greatly appreciated.

Moderator's note: Two threads were merged at this point.

Edited by Pan (log)

Ajay, I have yet to find an interesting Western restaurant around Lincoln Center, not even Gabriel's which I eventually gave up on. The next time I need to eat before a concert in Lincoln Center, I will probably end up at the Shun Lee West. It's a cut or two above the typical Chinese glop. Yet, this is not my neighborhood and perhaps you will be led to something recent I don't know about or an old stand-by that is not coming to mind.

SQC is not too long a walk from Lincoln Center and serves some great food.

If you want to go there... Let me know.. I would be glad to help you in any way I can... maybe have the chef prepare a tasting menu for you.. something that is not too time consuming but also showcases some of Scott Campbells ample talents.

His Hot Chocolate, Tarte Tatin and Potato Louis are winners and incomprable in the restaurant world.

As a longtime Met subscriber, I have endured the endless parade of overpriced, and underwhelming, restaurants in the immediate area. The only relatively consistent restaurant in the area is Picholine, whose charms are wasted on the pre-theatre crowd.

Currently, there are three options: (1) Ouest + taxi, (2) Cafe Luxembourg, or (3) Epices de Trateur. The first two are likely over your budget, but ET is pretty reasonable. While pretending to be Morrocan, I guess (it only has two or three real Morrocan dishes on the menu), the food is palatable, if not good, and very well priced.

The best option by far is intermission dining on the Grand Tier, which is expensive but worth it.

BTW, the Met's chocolate brownies are incredible, so skip dessert at dinner.

Any reason Compass is not on your list, mogsob? Does it fit into your parade of the overpriced and underwhelming? I'd be genuinely interested to hear why as I have been reasonably impressed with them on three visits.

Their three course prix-fixe should fill the bill for ajay, it seems to me. Not spectacular, but consistently good food in a very nice room.

I think Cafe Luxembourg should easily be in the budget ($40 without drinks or desserts), just don't know why anyone would ever go there for food over Compass when Compass is right next door and serves better fare.

I think Cafe Luxembourg should easily be in the budget ($40 without drinks or desserts), just don't know why anyone would ever go there for food over Compass when Compass is right next door and serves better fare.

I had a friend I really love and respect and consider close go to Cafe Luxembourg last night. I was shocked that they were still open (not really, but shocked someone this CHIC and HIP would go there). Upon pressing for details as to why he picked CL, he said he wanted to take his mother to a place that was least threatening in any way. Comfortable, simple, good service and close to home.

I have never enjoyed it... but so many do swear by it for the same reasons as my friend.

But Compass would be my first choice if I want a medium priced meal and good food.

Ouest is very good.

And SQC for personal reasons... would be my first choice any day... I could eat there every night.. But I live downtown....

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Compass is significantly better than Cafe Lux.

When opera-going we've eaten at, and enjoyed, a Turkish restaurant called Pasha in the 70's. Just a short cab ride. Shun Lee West is another of our choices. The dim sum is quick and doesn't lead to snoozing in the second act.

I'd save Picholine for an occasion when there's time to enjoy it. When we ate at Compass this summer the service was nothing less than abominable. If they've remedied that I'd go just for the scallion biscuits.

K.

I wanted to thank you all for your forcomming advise, (and Suvir's especially generous offer to possibly arrange a tasting menu, at SQC, an offer that I will do my best to take him up on!!) even though the evening was an unmitigated disaster :angry:

My companion decided that she wanted to try a place called Ocean Grill (not to be confused with Sea Grill in Rockefeller Center), but we were unable to secure reservations or walk-in seating probably because the floats for tomorrow's parade were on display around that area (78th and Columbus). So we decided to cab it down to Lincoln Center because she thought the Italian Restaurant, Fiorello, across from the Met was reasonable in terms of price, flavor and time, which we were by then running short of. Long story short, it was none of the above :shock::angry::sad: (these emoticons are addictive :wink: ). the menu claims that their pizzas were judged among the best or maybe even the best in New York by Gael Green. However, the biscuit with tomato sauce (i would guess it came out of a can) and cardboard like cheese was borderline inedible. In addition, even though they promised a quick meal and were well aware of our time constraints, the service was slow enough that we missed the first act.

THe food at Met wasn't much better; the brownies were average at best without the deep chocolatty flavor that I find desirable. But we were still hungry, so we decided to get soufles during the second intermission even though they were pricey (16 dollars a pop!), and again I was deeply disappointed. the beautiful melody of Michelle Crider was almost enough to cover all of my ill experiences, but I felt that even she was holding something back.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your thoughtful and insightful recommendations; I should have insisted we follow them :wacko::wub:

ps I have nothing against going to Mike's Papaya in my full regalia, but my one sop to my Hindu religion is an unwillingness to eat beef, which severely constrains my dinning options at Mike's. I am thinking of going to Big Nick's (a diner type establishment on or around 79th st. in the future--at those prices I probably can't be disappointed even if I also won't be thrilled.)

I am sorry you did not enjoy Fiorellos. It can be very good when good I guess. I have enjoyed some nice meals there.

Also the brownies that Restaurant Associates purchases are usually quite good... What kind of souffle did you get?

Do take me up on the offer to have Scott Campbell do a tasting for you.. He is great when doing stuff like that.. It would be a pleasure for me to make that happen.

Have a good T Day.. and weekend. :smile:

The next time I need to eat before a concert in Lincoln Center, I will probably end up at the Shun Lee West. It's a cut or two above the typical Chinese glop.

just 2 additional comments:

1. see my thread re: cafe lux...

2. sorry re: observation re: shun lee west, which may

possibly be among the top chinese restaurants in

the city. sophisticated fare, excellent service, nice

ambiance. eat there @least 1x/wk & have never

been disappointed

The antipasto plates at Fiorello are very good. You can have your choice of the number of items, vegetarian or meat or mixed, etc at different prices. It's reasonable and fast. It would never occur to me to have pizza there (or any other place that doesn't specialize in pizza, for that matter.) How many years ago did Gael Greene eat pizza there, anyway?

Edited by Sandra Levine (log)

I have no idea how long ago Gael Green had pizza there, the recommendation was noted on the menu. As to antipasto, I've followed fat guy's advice and avoided such displays/selectoins on the theory that they will never be as good as they look (I've found this point to be true vis a vis fancy buffet brunches as well but I suppose that is grist for a separate thread).

The soufle we had during the second intermision was supposedly made from valrohona (sp?) chocolate and came with a rasberry coulis. But the soufle did not exhibit any sense of chocolate, tasting almost entirely of egg. Moreover, for the first time in my life, I experienced the inverse of the Wilfrid problem, to wit the dish was very, very hot even hotter than the coffee!

The antipasto plates at Fiorello are very good.  You can have your choice of the number of items, vegetarian or meat or mixed, etc at different prices.  It's reasonable and fast.  It would never occur to me to have pizza there (or any other place that doesn't specialize in pizza, for that matter.)  How many years ago did Gael Greene eat pizza there, anyway?

For reasons best left unknown .... I can only say that Gael Greene may have eaten at Fiorellos more recently than many on eGullet and NYC.

Gael is not sparing in her words... It is hard to please her. She likes quality and cares for it.

Fiorello is great for antipasto and serves amazing Pizza when I have eaten there.

Maybe they knew my dining companions and sent us very fresh stuff... But then again, it was better than most such foods I have eaten anywhere.

But I would think that someone doing as much business as Fiorello would not have an opportunity to let food get stale. But who knows about these things....I have eaten a few Pizzas in Shelly Firemans many restaurants.. and across each of them, the pizzas have mostly been very good. IN fact the Foie Gras pizza at Shellys New York used to sate my hunger for Foie Gras and good pizza at the same time. Go figure... But none of this is good enough excuse for you being served a poor meal. I am sorry.

I am sorry you had a bad meal there. I am sorry that the soufflé for which you paid a substantial sum of money was also not good. I think most of the money was paid for you were eating it at that venue. But there is nothing worse than a soufflé that looks dark and chocolatey but has no chocolate flavor... Even store bought chocolate pudding can become pleasing all of a sudden.

When you find yourself in the area again, and if you want to give Fiorello another chance.... Let me know.. maybe I can call the management and tell them about your not so great experience... I am sure any smart management team would want you back to wow you over... Or, if you give me some warning.. I can call Scott and see if he can prepare a tasting menu for you at SQC... He is a brilliant chef.. and even better when doing stuff like that. It also does not hurt that he makes pastries better than many chefs who are made to do pastry in even some of the finer restaurants. I keep hoping someday more restaurant owners will understand the need to have great pastry chefs working in their kitchens and also to respect these chefs as much as they do their savory chefs. That will be the day that diners will finally experience a meal that is great in all accounts. (Note, far too many restaurant owners hire untrained chefs and give them lofty titles of pastry chef, but in reality that title means little if anything.)