• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Beans in a Crock Pot?

zoe b

Any foolproof recipes/techniques?

I've been surfing & found a whole range--from cooking beans completely, then finishing in the crockpot, to totally cooking them in the crockpot. I'm leaning to cooking soaked beans on high for 3-4 hours,watching the liquid carefully, then cooking for 6-8 hours after that.

what works for you?

Glad you started this topic, zoe b! I'm a total bean-newbie & have been wanting to do crockpot baked beans for awhile, just never got around to it. Particularly interested in Canadian-style beans with the maple syrup.

How do you adapt regular oven-baked bean recipes for the crockpot?

Dig a 36" diameter hole in the yard, line with rocks, have a nice hardwood fire until it's all embers, insert foil-wrapped cast iron bean pot, cover and let cook overnight. In the pot have pre-soaked soldier beans, onion, garlic, pork, maple syrup and/or molasses, water and salt pork. Outdoor breakfast at sunrise.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Kerry said--

I cook the beans until the skins split when you blow on them - then everything in the crockpot overnight.

thanks, Kerry--I like concrete advice like that--will do this.

Peter the Eater said--

Dig a 36" diameter hole in the yard, line with rocks, have a nice hardwood fire until it's all embers, insert foil-wrapped cast iron bean pot, cover and let cook overnight. In the pot have pre-soaked soldier beans, onion, garlic, pork, maple syrup and/or molasses, water and salt pork. Outdoor breakfast at sunrise.

ha! I'd love to do this--maybe the next time we want beans--it sounds fun. I haven't really done any pit cooking, but I bet it's fabulous for breakfast.

We're having a family gathering dinner & making pulled pork with the pork shoulder from our pig in the freezer--so the smoking will be the star attraction--don't want to take attention away from the pig--the beans must play second banana.

Zoe

Here's my whole recipe if you are interested -

Baked Beans Classic

2 pounds dried navy beans

2 teaspoons salt

¼ teaspoon pepper

1 cup brown sugar

2 large onions, grated

6 tablespoons bacon drippings

4 teaspoons prepared mustard

2 cups tomato juice

2 cups water from cooking beans

⅓ cup molasses

½ pound bacon

½ lb cooked ham

Soak beans overnight or quick soak. For quick soak, cover beans with cold water, bring to a boil, boil one minute then cover for one hour. Now cook beans in fresh water for about 30 minutes until soft. When you blow on a couple of beans on a spoon the skins will split. Fry up bacon and measure out drippings. Put beans, grated onion, bacon drippings, chopped up cooked bacon, mustard, tomato juice, bean water and molasses in slow cooker. Cook on low overnight. Stir in cubed ham.

I am, & thanks--looks good--I wonder, could the one pound of meat in the beans have anything to do with the deliciousness????

off to quick soak now.

I am, & thanks--looks good--I wonder, could the one pound of meat in the beans have anything to do with the deliciousness????

off to quick soak now.

I'm sure it's just the beans!!!

I'm sure it's just the beans!!!

yes, of course.....

the beans are cooking away--they smell wonderful--I don't have any tomato juice, so just using bean water, and i threw a little soy sauce in to darken em a bit, but otherwise using your recipe.

The beans were a success. Maybe a just little too saucy--I put liquid up to just below top of beans--could go a bit lower.

But they looked & tasted like baked beans--not like hard pellets or a mass of goo--both of which I have produced in the past.

The crock pot is an excellent choice for making these--especially on a 90 plus degrees day....

The beans were a success. Maybe a just little too saucy--I put liquid up to just below top of beans--could go a bit lower.

But they looked & tasted like baked beans--not like hard pellets or a mass of goo--both of which I have produced in the past.

The crock pot is an excellent choice for making these--especially on a 90 plus degrees day....

They thicken up after a night in the fridge.