• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting Types of Rice

Bella S.F.

I have been wanting to make Arroz con Pollo. The recipe calls for long grain rice. The recipe reminds me of a Chicken Paella that we make. That recipe calls for Paella Rice, which we are able to find. I really like the texture of the rice. It has a nice "toothiness" to it. Is there any reason to use long grain rice when making Arroz con Pollo? What do you think about substituting a short grain rice, even a risotto rice, OR... is that one of those no brainer,

"Absurdly stupidly simple cooking questions... ...that you are almost embarassed to ask "? questions? So, here's another... would it change the cooking time?

Much thanks!

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

It's up to you, I'd go for long grain for arroz con pollo, but that's personal preference, no rights or wrongs :)

Cooking time won't be much different with either rice.

Risotto rice will give you a very different dish, assuming you cook it like a risotto and stir it a lot, in which case you're not making arroz con pollo, you're making chicken risotto :)