• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey Confit

Porthos

Has anyone done a turkey confit using the whole bird, not just the dark meat? I want to do a whole bird but want to make sure I'm not going to mess the the breasts by doing this.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Well, I tried it with a 16 lb bird cut into pieces and all laid flat in the roasting pan and added butter and olive oil. It went for 8 hours at 215 degrees F . Dark meat was fabulous, breast meat was Sahara desert dry. I won't try that again with a whole bird! I may do thighs this way someday in the future.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Why not add the breast part way thru, so it all finishes together?

I could try that. This time the idea was for it to cook unattended while I ran errands. The bird was a food donation to serve at our Renaissance Faire noon-time feast tomorrow and I needed to cook it ahead. My DW and I have taken over responsibility for the faire kitchen this year and I wanted to cook the turkey before taking it out.

Edited by Porthos (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;