• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Essex Street Market

weinoo

In the continuing growth of the Essex Street Market, a few new items are now available.

It's my opinion that the Essex St. Market is the rival of any of the other "catch-all" type markets in the city. I guess the closest in terms of look and feel is the Arthur Avenue Retail Market, which, just like the Essex St. Market was founded during the administration of Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia.

Back to what's new at the Essex Street Market:

At the La Tiendita stall, which is the stall run by the Lower Eastside Girls Club, they're carrying Knoll Crest eggs and pasta, along with some Breezy Hill Orchards product.

A wonderful bread vendor, Pain D'Avignon, has opened. They carry a great selection of their artisinal breads, including some of the best rye bread I've ever had. Take a look...that's the rye in back.

IMG_3018.JPG

In addition to these new offerings, we can't forget Saxelby's, for cheeses and other dairy, Formaggio Essex for all things salumi and then some, Jeffrey the Butcher and another butcher too, Roni-Sue for chocolates and other sweet things, 2 fish vendors, a coffee retailer, 2 or 3 greengrocers, the inimitable Shopsin's and whatever else I might be missing.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?