• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doughmakers Pebbleware baking pans:

Darienne

Yesterday I bought some new baking pans by Doughmakers at our local and only restaurant supply store, Hendrix. The pans are manufactured in the USA...WOW!...of recycled aluminum and have a pebbled interior surface. The pans are featured at Doughmakers website.

(I also bought the familiar smooth interior finish 1/4 sheets, etc, at the store...in the smaller sizes, e.g., 9" square, 9"x13", they carry only this pebbled finish.)

I would call the pan surface almost crackled perhaps. Not a non-stick finish; more of a satin shine I guess. Of course they will not rust. And the manufacturer claims that the baked goods brown evenly and have an easy release.

But I keep looking at the crackled, pebbled finish and wondering...will it become a royal pain to clean? I can still take them back. I did see some smaller aluminum baking pans at Canadian Tire for the first time...smooth interior finish. Perhaps tried and true is better...??? :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks Emmalish. I had quite forgotten that these pans will be supervised in their use. The kitchen queen. I also reign over my Paderno pans (I know, I know, they hardly register on the pan Richter scale, but I bought them pre-eGullet.) They aren't even kept with the regular cooking pans.

My old rusted metal baking pans, some of which date back 50 years, were not precious to me at all. I cooked...under some duress. Pretty much all wives and mothers cooked fifty years ago...like it or not. Oh well. Whatever. That was then...this is now.

My new baking pans will not be used even temporarily to store nails. Or to heat up leftovers. "Let's just cut that sucker up using a sharp knife on the bottom of the pan."

Hmmm...my old cake pans are still fine. I guess cake pans were never used as all purpose containers.

My, my, how eGullet has changed my life. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.