• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ostrich Eggs

Shel_B

One of the local markets around here sometimes carries ostrich eggs (they look positively HUGE next to the quail eggs), and it's tempting to try one but they are quite spendy. So, maybe someone's had some experience with them. How do thewy taste - strong, mild, any "off" or unusual flavor profile? This morning while watching Big Cat Diary on Animal Planet, a lioness was shown eating a few ostrich eggs and the observer mentioned that they were "stinky." Do the eggs have a strong, or perhaps disagreeable, odor? Any other thoughts on these eggs?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

I had some years ago. As I recall, they tasted like chicken eggs; there was nothing smelly about them. The only off-putting thing about them is that I had a fried one - and the size of the thing initially turned me off. One egg filled a dinner plate.

I like both duck meat and duck eggs better than chicken. I like ostrich meat better than chicken meat (never tried an ostrich egg -- but I would like to). It stands to reason that I might like ostrich eggs better than chicken eggs. So long as I knew the age of the egg in question, I would buy one if they were available.

Of course, my wife would want to blow the egg out of the shell and go all "Martha Stewart." on it.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

ostrich eggs have pretty much the same taste as a chicken egg, just a lot larger. They shouldn't be smelly, maybe the one the lioness was eating was no longer being taken care of and had turned. Yeah, from my experience, they taste the same. You need to drill a hole into it and scramble the egg inside the egg so it will come out. The shell is very thick. I'm sure it could be cut open with a dremel tool, but I've only seem a chopstick or skewer inserted into the hole to scramble and help drain it. Hope this helps. If I had one at the local market I would buy one, if of course it was less than 10 dollars. How much are they asking per egg?

ostrich eggs have pretty much the same taste as a chicken egg, just a lot larger. They shouldn't be smelly, maybe the one the lioness was eating was no longer being taken care of and had turned. Yeah, from my experience, they taste the same. You need to drill a hole into it and scramble the egg inside the egg so it will come out. The shell is very thick. I'm sure it could be cut open with a dremel tool, but I've only seem a chopstick or skewer inserted into the hole to scramble and help drain it. Hope this helps. If I had one at the local market I would buy one, if of course it was less than 10 dollars. How much are they asking per egg?

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. Thanks for you information. I think the eggs were about $8.00 apiece, but it may have been as much as $12.00. The next time I'm at the store I'll check.

Since the eggs are pretty mild, and not stinky, I may get one and give it a try. Probably best to invite a few friends over for brunch ...

[edit]

Well, I just checked a couple of web sites and blogs, and it seems that I was mistaken about the price. How does $39.00 strike you!?

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel