• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using stand mixer without a paddle

Starkman

Hello all,

Well, I have this Sunbeam Deluxe Mixmaster Mixer, which comes with bowls of two sizes, double dough hooks and double bowl-fit beaters (one's regular shaped and the other is conical shaped to run along the inner side of the bowl).

Anyway, there's no paddle attachment for this unit (I called Sunbeam and they verified such).

Question: is there a way, with the devices that came with it, to mimic the action of a paddle? I mean, if I can't, there's a lot of stuff I won't be able to make using the mixer, and that just doesn't seem...well, it seems odd!

Thanks,

Starkman

Whenever I've used a mixer that doesn't have paddles I've always used the beaters. These always give me the same results when making cookie, brownie, etc. doughs. Is there a reason you believe the beaters will not work when only paddle would? Just curious

My grandmother, mother and I all used Sunbeam mixmasters for beating cake batter, eggs and egg whites, the looser types of cookie doughs, and etc., etc., etc.,

For many, many years. The beaters do a fine job with certain restrictions.

They work just fine as long as you don't overload them with dough that is too stiff or dense.

If you have the dough hooks, you have a later model in which the motor was beefed up a bit to handle heavier jobs than the earlier models.

Some of the units sold in the late 1940s and through the '50s are still in use.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Well, I'm glad to hear that the beaters will do the job.

I didn't know if not having a paddle would mean I'm up a creek with no...paddle (yeah, you could see that coming, eh!).

Anyway, I'm just starting to bake with a standing mixer, so I wasn't sure if I was out of luck without the paddle.

Thanks,

Starkman

• 10 months later...