• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New tastes for a new year

Anna N

This is a good year for more classic and historic sauces, I think.

Today's project along these lines was a Sauce à la Laguipierre--mushrooms and shallots simmered in white wine and veal stock; spiced with garlic, bay leaf, allspice, and pepper; combined with velouté and the abovementioned "mushroom essence;" thickened with egg yolks and cream; strained and finished with butter and lemon juice. I served it with grilled salmon and white asparagus. Traditionally it might be served with sole or in a dish like Tournados à la Laguipierre, served on toast with foie gras and a slice of truffle. It's kind of interesting that it is versatile enough to go with fish or beef, and easily with chicken or veal. Laguipierre was Napoleon's cook and a mentor to Carême.

One of the things I like about making these sauces is that they make one realize what the mid-century modern convenience foods like canned mushroom soup were replacing. Of course anything made with good homemade stocks is going to be more subtle and complex than industrial soup from a can, but I could totally see this in my grandmothers' (plural--they all made it) tuna-noodle casserole.

Curing my first ever pork belly for tomorrow braising. Cured in salt, sugar and berbere spices. Yes, I know that is anachronistic, but I love that spice mix. They don't know how good it works with pork.

More fish. Salt cod, for example. And fresh sardines. And mackerel.

We had mackerel for dinner last night -- it was delicious! Very mild, but tasty fillets. We used a really simple recipe from Mark Bittman here.

Best of all 1lb of fresh filets were $6. Add rice and steamed broccoli, and you've got a really good, filling, health, cheap meal.

I will definitely try grilling whole mackerel sometime.

What a sweet topic. New year's food dreams.

Upthread made me vow that this will be the year that I finally make an avocado pie.

I will open and eat the bottle of preserved lemons that I have in the cupboard.

And I promise to make something from salt cod at home.

I've been going to the farmer's market each week and selecting something I've never prepared, and preparing it. Turnips were a revelation, cooked in butter and brown sugar.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.