• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is the CI vodka pie crust adaptable to tart crusts?

HowardLi

It works fine.

My standard recipe uses 190g flour and 60g water. I've substituted 20g water plus 40g vodka (80 proof).

The results are a bit crisper, but the shell shrinks more. I find it to be more of an interesting option than a necessary improvement.

Interesting. I use the CI crust for most pies and tarts and things now, and I find I have less shrinkage than with a standard pate brisee.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I typically substitute 30 - 40% of the water with vodka and have great results. Don't know if my technique has improved or if it's the vodka but the result is definitely much better than what I was getting before.

I do this with pies, tarts and even biscuits and scones.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I use the CI crust for most pies and tarts and things now, and I find I have less shrinkage than with a standard pate brisee.

Now that you mention it, I think the CI proportions are different from the ones I settled on. When I first did it with their proportions, I got a very soft, wet dough that was easy to handle ... but I didn't get much change in the final result. So I adjusted ... the proportions I posted give a typical dough texture, but much less moisture in the final crust (which explains the crispness and also the shrinkage).

I think the CI technique is popular because it makes dough easier to handle. It also reduces the chance that you'll develop gluten and get a tough crust. However, decent pastry technique makes both these points irrelevent. I experimented with the concept to see if alcohol could give any other benefits, like crispness.

Notes from the underbelly