• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Il Passetto Rome Rip-Off

prasantrin

I hadn't heard anything about this story until today, but apparently last June, two Japanese tourists got a bill for 700 Euros at this historic (according to the article) restaurant. Another article (from a blog) can be found at the link.

The Italian Minister of Tourism invited the couple back to Rome at the expense of the Italian government (and therefore taxpayers), but the couple declined (Mr. Yamada said it would be poor use of government money), instead offering to meet with her when she visited to Japan. He did meet with the Deputy Mayor of Rome the other day at a restaurant in Tokyo (I suspect I know which one, but I have not been able to find official mention of it).

Has anyone here ever dined there? I've heard it's common practice in Rome to overcharge tourists, but am wondering if it's usually to such an extent. Were they targetting Japanese tourists? (Not the first time that would have happened.)

And after this incident, would you still be inclined to dine at the famous Il Passetto?

I thought this story was overblown. The restaurant is expensive and they do have a menu with prices?

I have been severely overcharged in a night club in Tokyo where there were no charges listed and a large number of "ladies" drinks were added to my bill without my authorization. However a refusal to pay with a request for them to call the police if they wanted produced a negotiable sum. Japanese are also notorious for being reluctant to make a fuss. When I was living in Hong Kong there were often stories about Japanese tourists being overcharged in night clubs there (same story as my experience in Tokyo, except they paid up and complained afterwards when they were sober).

If I had money to splash I would eat at this restaurant, except that I would choose La Pergola of the Hotel Eden rooftop first.

Edited by Sampaguita (log)

Too many restaurants in Piedmont, too little time in life

Villa Sampaguita

• 2 weeks later...

i've been there a couple of times years ago, our hotel was just across the road.

first time a very friendly waiter said we have have some fresh porcini and a sea bass in salt.

i was of course wary of a gouging, but he produced an excellent meal for us and recommended some value wine too.

second time less memorable but the first certainly stuck in my mind as an excellent experience.

you don't win friends with salad