• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vertically Challenged (ie: short) Crust

srhcb

Vertically Challenged (ie: short) Crust

I'm admittedly "Rolling Pin Challenged", so I like to use this "short" (crisp cookie-like) crust recipe. I found it's especially well suited to making quiche.

• 1-1/2 c AP Flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 c Vegetable Oil
  • 2 T Milk

Mix together the Flour and Salt (you can do this right in the pie plate you intend to bake in, but I find it easier to use a separate bowl)

Whisk together the Oil and Milk (beat in as much air as possible to make the finished crust less oily)

Mix wet & dry ingredients with a fork and press the dough along sides and bottom of a pie plate with your fingers

Blind bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes

Options:

1.) Substitute part whole wheat flour or cornmeal for AP Flour

2.) For use with a sweet filling, omit Salt and add 1-2 t Sugar

3.) If you have a youngster around the house who likes packaged Mac & Cheese, but sometimes prefers it sans fromage, (usually with ketchup instead), save the dry cheese powder add about one-half the packet to your pie crust. (omit Salt)

Keywords: Easy, Pie, Tart

( RG1571 )