• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mistral Cooking Class

Yeah, that sucks, but Steve has a good point nonetheless.

Kathy

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Ok, looks like there are a couple of spots left open.

Any more takers?

Are there still spots ? I'd love to come along !

Edit: Darn, I need to learn to read the whole thread before responding. Waaah !

- S

Edited by Fish (log)

• 2 weeks later...
So tomorrow's the big day! I'm looking forward to this.

Reminder to self: don't forget to bring your chef's knife.

And perhaps another reminder not to let anyone else use said chef's knife ? :wink:

- S

So first off, I want to say that I had a blast at the cooking class and I want to thank William again for doing such a great job.

Here is a run down of what we did (please chime in if I missed anything, there were so many topics covered!)

Everybody arrived at Mistral, we discussed the game plan over coffee and then made our way to the Market. William showed us his favorite stalls and discussed his ingredient sources. We ended up buying a bunch of produce at Franks produce stall in the market. They had great stuff and were very friendly.

We made our way back to the restaurant and started the kitchen portion of the class. First, Chef William demonstrated proper knife sharpening technique with his wetstone. He turned a few dull knives into lean mean bruinoiseing machines.

We then got another demo on how to butcher a fish (Barry the Bass in this case) as well as an interesting discussion on kitchen waste philosophies. Col Klink stepped up to the plate when Chef William asked somebody to try their hand at butchering another fish. The Col did a great job with it too.

After these demos, Chef William broke up the class into small groups to do some prep tasks for lunch. I was assigned to cut potatoes for the potato puree and then took the task of blanching grape tomatoes for peeling. The first time around on the grape peeling, I received a poor grade on my X cuts for being too heavy handed. I did them again and passed though!

Other tasks people got: Trimming herbs, Trimming baby artichokes, dicing tomatoes, peeling fava beans, peeling baby carrots and searing a rack of lamb.

We then all watched and helped at times as Chef William cooked the various dish components. He showed us how he makes his potato puree, which made everybody hungry and nearly made me jump into the bowl. Around this time, we retired to the dining room and had lunch. The dishes were:

Striped Bass over Fava Beans, grape tomatoes, and baby artichokes sauteed in white wine topped with watercress salad

Lamb chop over potato puree, roasted cipolini, and consumee glazed carrot with veal/red wine reduction

Watermelon soup with Strawberry and Pineapple sorbets

Two wines were available, I don't have my notes with me now to relate them, but somebody else can chime in or I can add them later. I had a glass of the red and loved it.

To sum it up: The class was great, the meal was great, William and his staff were great, and the company was great. All of this adds up to more than the sum of its parts. We need to do it again.

Ben

p.s. please add anything I missed or relate your favorite part or most valuable lesson!

p.p.s. there were two cameras present and lots of pics were taken, I hope to see them soon.

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

There was a question about where to find a good source for water stones as well as japanese made knives.

Here are some resources:

The Knife Merchant- This is where I bought my knife. They have a great selection of knives, but for some reason they don't carry water stones, which boggles my mind.

1000 grit waterstone at Cutlery and More

800 Grit Global Stone at Cutlery and More

Tons of stone options at Bladegallery

Water Stones at Japanese Knife

Enjoy!

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

I had a great time in this class, learned a hell of a lot, and would like to do it again. Chef William is a very gracious man and an excellent teacher. I was also really impressed with Kevin, who oversaw service while we ate the fruits of our labor. He chose two amazing wines (I'm sure someone will post the names -- the white was by Mason of Napa; the red I cannot remember).

After lunch, we left the restaurant wandered around Pike Place Market. When we went back to Mistral to get the cars, we watched William and his staff play stickball in the parking lot!

Can't wait to have dinner there.

Kathy

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

When I was up at Bob Kramer's place he showed me some of the Damascus steel stuff he's been making - gorgeous. And for only an additional $350, you can have your knife made with it, too. Yowch !

- S

Edit: Fixed the URL - thanks Schielke !

Edited by Fish (log)

Here are some pics from the Mistral class, courtesy of nightscotsman....

07.jpg

At the Market. Perhaps the worst picture of my wife I've ever seen. I hope you all appreciate the personal price I will have to pay for having posted this. Me (looking fat and stoned) and batgrrrl also pictured.

08.jpg

Another group shot at the Market.

09.jpg

Getting the 411 on knife sharpening from the Chef.

10.jpg

Say it with me now kids, "this is a bass"....

11.jpg

Filleting technique, step 1....

12.jpg

"I think I'll call you Lunch. Hello Lunch!!"

13.jpg

Klink is mesmerized by the glittering stripes on the fish....

15.jpg

SparrowFalls discusses the finer points of salting a rack of lamb with the Chef.

21.jpg

Searing the rack....

22.jpg

Fileting and dicing tomatoes. Not sure how much of red seen here is tomato and how much is pieces of finger....

23.jpg

THE POTATOES, before the final step of pushing them through the strainer...

24.jpg

Schielke trying to abscond with the spuds. Unfortunately for him, he forgot that we had all brought chef's knives that day. Poor Schielke.

26.jpg

The filets of bass hit the pan.

27.jpg

I'm a professional and can stick my fingers in smoking hot oil and not feel it, kids, don't try this at home.

28.jpg

Schielke, holding one arm over the gaping wound in his stomach, tries to redeem himself to the group by making the plates pretty....

29.jpg

Happy diners....

31.jpg

The lamb with THE POTATOES. It was as good as it looks and the cippolini (of the onion family type, not of the grape hyacinth family type, were exquisite as well.)

32.jpg

...and with a blinding light, God spake unto him, saying, "Oh Klink, smoker of meats, go forth and smite the vegetarians in my name!" "Yes Lord!, I shall smiteth them." The rest of us were so enraptured by the food that the fact God was speaking to Klink completely eluded us....

33.jpg

Watermelon soup with raspberry and pineapple sorbets.

stickball.jpg

Chef William up to bat in a game of stickball out back. My car also pictured. (Just an FYI Chef, the bill for that dent you put in my vehicle with your errant swing is in the mail....)

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Dude, that chef looks younger than Schielke!  That is not right!

Dude, that chef looks like Keanu!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I would like to do it again, and there seems to be enough people interested. Ben, would you get on that? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Here are a few more pics from the Mistral class....

MistralClass_Produce1.jpg

Some of the lovely produce at the Market....

MistralClass_Produce2.jpg

...and some more.

MistralClass_Ingredients.jpg

Our chosen ingredients layed out in the kitchen.

MistralClass_Knife.jpg

Chef William demo'ing knife sharpening technique.

MistralClass_Filet1.jpg

MistralClass_Filet1.jpg

Klink trying his hand at fileting Barry's cousin...

MistralClass_Herbs.jpg

Mr. Toast & nightscotsman picking those little tiny leaves off of the sprigs of thyme.

MistralClass_Tomatoes.jpg

Klink & SparrowsFall

MistralClass_Cippolini.jpg

The roasted cippolini fresh out of the oven.

MistralClass_Herbs2.jpg

Klink chiffonading....

MistralClass_Bass.jpg

The plated bass dish. Mmmmmm....

MistralClass_Table.jpg

The view from the other end of the table.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946